MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page Beginner Matte Painting, would appreciate critique
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

Beginner Matte Painting, would appreciate critique
(#1)
Old

Default Beginner Matte Painting, would appreciate critique - 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Hello,
this is my second attempt at a Matte Painting. It is the groundwork for a more complex scene (there will be a ship to the left and a tower/castle/fortress of some sort spread over the island). But I would really appreciate comments, critique and suggestions before adding the other elements I just mentioned.

THANKS FOR LOOKING. :)

Last edited by santilozano; 11-21-2012 at 04:01 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 11-23-2012, 01:32 AM

It's a good exercise but way to simple for me. You could add more elements to make it more interesting and exciting like more rocks in the foreground maybe.. idk. Now it's just a sky, sea and a rock.
Also the rock is too dark. Add more air so it looks like it's far away.. It needs less contrast. :)
(#3)
Old

Default 11-23-2012, 03:06 AM

hi, I think you are well on your way, its nice, reminds me of narnia, actually I like simple mattes ;) but agree with angels comments on atmosphere darks etc, watch the clouds, they're a bit dark, and desaturate the whole image. I did a quick 10min grade to illustrate. (I'm not a professional so just my opinion) hope it helps. Look forward to your next stage. cheers dave
(#4)
Old

Default 11-23-2012, 04:21 AM

Thanks so much for the advice, guys. :)

The image does look a bit bare right now, but it is a WIP, so I am currently adding elements to the island--I intend to place small towers, battlements and fortifications dotting the whole place. The foreground would probably have a ship to the left, sort of heading towards the island (which I will include, making it more of an illustration than a MP...). Hopefully all those new elements will give it more interest and a better composition. I just wanted to get a more experienced take on colors, saturation, and such before adding more stuff.

Dave, the desaturated, lighter image seems to work much better, plus it solves Angell123's concern about the contrast on the island. Thx! (The original sky photograph is actually as desaturated and light as your adjustment; I was going for a more dramatic effect but I guess I overdid it...)

Hope to post a new image next week.
(#5)
Old

Default 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Here's an update of my image at a larger scale than the previous one, so the details can be seen more easily.

I placed the fortress/castle/towers and worked on the saturation and overall darkness of the island and in fact the whole scene. Will keep working on the island, and start placing elements such as small ships in the sea below it.

As always, any comments and suggestions will be hugely appreciated.

(#6)
Old

Default 11-27-2012, 06:59 AM

Hi
i like the whole mood of the image but i think that the architectural elements you added on the mountain are too scattered around and don't follow the mountain structure very well, flattening it a little bit. I would give more strength and presence to the construction, because at first sight my attention is still captured by the left part which is brighter, so as a suggestion i would put something in the middle of the scene to guide the sight towards the mountain, maybe something on the left side a little closer to the camera.
Anyway this is a very good start, keep it up.

Cheers
(#7)
Old

Default 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Thank you, Li'l Lizard! :) When I read your post I was already hard at work strengthening the structures in the island and working on the ships.

I am posting the almost finished work. Corrections and suggestions are most welcome at this point: hopefully I will be able to finish it and it will look good enough to post in the Artist Showcase.

(#8)
Old

Default 11-29-2012, 05:42 AM

I think I'm done. :)
Fixed the shadow at the bottom of the foreground ship. ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS OR CORRECTIONS ARE STILL VERY WELCOME! I'm hoping to learn via this forum.

(#9)
Old

Default 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Hi Santilozano, This is a very good start for a first matte painting. I have a couple of suggestions that I think would help refine this matte and give it even more realism.
First The top edge of the island where it meets the sky is too harsh. This edge needs to be softened into the sky. Right now it just looks cut out. Next I would maybe add a little trail of disturbed water behind the boat to show that it is actually traveling through the water and not just sitting there. and then one final thing that isn't really that big of a deal and probably falls into the category of artistic freedom but there is a lot of sun light hitting the boat that is floating on water that is completely in shadow. It seems to me that if that sun was hitting the boat it would also hit the water that the boat is on.
Keep it up, It's looking good!
(#10)
Old

Default 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM

Thank you Ericu!
Great suggestions, I will work them into the image. :)