HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page River Winter
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

River Winter
(#1)
Old

Default River Winter - 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM

C&C are most welcome. Working on the 3d projection in nuke and maya with help from the tutorials at http://www.gfryart.com/
Never mind the reflection in the river. Its a stand-in till the true reflection in rendered.

Thanks
(#2)
Old

Default 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM

v nice, I like the composition improvements, nicely balanced... so where's the alps? ;) dave
(#3)
Old

Default 02-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Thanks miragenz! I'll play around with that idea. May add an epic factor to this matte.

Update: Projection is set up in nuke which is entirely easier to manage than with maya. I must set it up in maya still since I need raytraced reflections in the river.

Modeled a truck with enough detail to look good from the camera. Will have two of these driving along the road together.

(#4)
Old

Default 02-19-2012, 01:04 AM

Small update: banging my head against Maya, projection wise. adding mountains
(#5)
Old

Send a message via MSN to Ricardo Garces
Default 02-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Hey Jeremy, it looks very good indeed! Maybe you could also add some airplanes in the far distance.

I think the mountain should be longer and lower. You have already a good composition without many stuff going on at the same time, adding static stuff to the picture will only cram it up... that is my humble opinion.

Looking forward to see it in motion!
(#6)
Old

Default 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM

Thank you Ricardo. I appreciate your caution about overloading the composition. I'll down-play the mountains. And an airplane sounds like fun! You'll be seeing it soon.
(#7)
Old

Default 02-19-2012, 02:39 PM

You can leave the mountain with the current size if you make a camera rotating movement to the left with the axis over the tallest building.

It will be harder to achieve but would make a great shot.

I feel like it's WWII. That is your goal right?

When looking at the image, I see myself traveling on a parallel road to the river on the opposite side of the road where you will be putting the trucks.

I am looking through the window of the car in the passenger seat and while the car goes ahead I turn the head to the right and follow the movement of the incoming trucks in the distance.

At this time, a flock of ducks fly away from the river and a second later a Messerschmidt crosses over my head and disappears behind the buildings to the right of the tallest building.
(#8)
Old

Default 02-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Yep Ricardo, WWII is my aim. Thanks for the ideas. This first camera move is what I think you were describing.

Critiques are welcome. I'm liking the first.

Update: two camera moves to think about. The first will require more painting. Second is boring but works out of the box.

BORKED

BORKED
(#9)
Old

Default 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM

I obviously like the first one more.

I think the shot would benefit if the trucks were going the other way around. From left to right.

I envision the airplanes flying above you, not actually in the background. I would make them cross above the camera and leave in the horizon at the right side of the tallest building. This way you are actually placing the audience inside the action, rather than just being witness to it.

Numbers are movement. Camera and trucks are already moving when you enter the shot. Then the birds feel the incoming aircraft and fly away, then the aircraft fly over.

Just my two cents :)
creating alphas
(#10)
Old

Default creating alphas - 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM

jeremy here's the method which I think works great, david luong taught me...

when you have your image with all bg and cc turned off, make a layer above it, dont name it or anything, click on the image you want layer and go 'image'/'apply image' and use settings as shown, just transparency and invert... and ta da... save as a tiff...