HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page camera projection
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

camera projection
(#1)
Old

Default camera projection - 02-05-2012, 02:20 PM

Hi Nick, Alex and anyone else that wants to comment!. I'm setting up this matte (from cgtantra challenge) for projection, just a zoom in and pan to the left (like you were going to walk up the road) but am wondering how much geo to build? Appreciate its down to the camera move but where do I start... do I re-create Nick's model (as per below) + geo for mntains, sky and ground... do I need to go as far as the palm tree and the cast shadow and the low walls? or is that OTT?. I've done a simple (all the buildings as one +sky, mntns, gate etc) 2.5 in AE... looked nice but want to push it more in 3D. So any advice on setup please...? All the buildings are separate layers with overlap etc. cheers dave
(#2)
Old

Default 02-06-2012, 02:21 AM

Hi Dave,

Like you said, it depends on the camera move and the level that you are aiming for with this...

Recreating a 3d layout like the one I provided wouldn't be a bad start, its always a good idea to get the layout blocked in with primatives before doing any further modelling work. You could do a quick projection just using cubes and planes to check the parallax with your camera move and give you an idea of how detailed your models will need to be.
I think I mentioned it at the time, but the model was created with a 50mm lens (I'm pretty sure that's the case anyway, im guessing you can still find the original thread). That will help you get a lineup to the matte painting.

When you say a zoom in, did you mean a zoom or do you actually intend to have the camera push in to the shot? For a zoom that is just a 2D thing, you wouldn't actually need any 3D for a zoom, only if your camera is physically moving in.

You will want to model some geo for the low walls i would imagine, but try the projection on the major forms first just so that you know everything is working fine. As for the tree, if you include that in the projection, you might get away with just placing it on a card, but it depends on your camera move again. If you want a moving tree you could produce a 3d asset to replace the one you have and comp tree and shadow back on again afterwards, but if this is your first time doing projection stuff like this then maybe place it on a card for now and go from there.

Keep us posted on your progress, and we can hopefully help you with specifics as you go along. genuinely the best way you can make this work is just to jump in and see how it looks. One piece of advice, don't let the technical stuff hold you back. It took me until I was in the industry really before I was brave enough to say 'ok, if i think that should be a full 3d asset and not just a projected element, someone else is going to say the same, so i might as well just do it'. If you aren't too familiar with the process here, it can all seem a bit overwhelming, but if you push this one as far as you can to get a really great looking shot out of it, the next one won't feel half as daunting :)

Cheers,
N

Digital Matte Painter // Forum Moderator
(#3)
Old

Default 02-06-2012, 11:46 AM

Nick why dont you just give him the asset! stop being mean,

ha ha, Dave, I am in the same boat, I have to have a scene with a dolly to ground to match existing footage, daunting is not the word. I think I spend more time fiddling about with a new software than do anything productive. However I have noticed that I am getting faster at working so the constant frustration of getting it wrong pays off.

Gazelles are boring, us Sloths we watch the world go by getting a little bit wiser...

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
http://www.rockhoppervfx.luxipics.com/
(#4)
Old

Default 02-06-2012, 12:15 PM

thanks for the help nick... will post wips/probs....
@rich ha! but noooo dont give me the asset :) I need to build it
cheers dave
(#5)
Old

Default 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Rich - Haha, that would be too easy! ;)
No, in all seriousness, if Dave had asked for it, I could probably have dug up the Maya scene, but credit to him that he chose to find his own way. It will be a better learning experience for it.

N

(#6)
Old

Default wip1 - 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM

Hi ya, apologies if these are odd questions, have done/doing maya tuts and trying to solve but...
1. can someone confirm that after initially orientating the camera/plane that you look at the proj_cam view to line everything up but work/transform etc in perspective view?
2. how big does the geometry have to be i.e. does one cube have to extend past every lump turret etc so essentially they should all be bigger than what I've done?
thanks in advance for your help, cheers dave
(#7)
Old

Default 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM

1) If I understand you correctly, yes that sounds right. Once you have that projection camera set up, lock it off so you can't move it even if you try without first unlocking it. That will save you a loy of pain later, trust me ;)
2)You will need geometry there to catch all of your painting, so yes, your geo should really extend slightly past the element that will be projected onto it. Your alpha will be used to ensure that the areas of the geo that extend past the element will become transparent in the render. As for the scale of your elements, staying at a real world scale is never a bad idea, but won't be strictly necessary for what you are doing here. As long as you dont model so small that you end up making problems for yourself, you should be ok.

Looks like you are off to a good start, if you can keep up the momentum and get a working render nice and quick (even if it has lots of issues to begin with), the whole process will suddenly seem a lot less daunting.

(#8)
Old

Default 02-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Oh, and a quick tip in case you arent aware of it - snap your pivot point to the bottom of your cubes, that way you can really easily scale an object up without it base moving from the ground plane. Just select the object, hit 'insert' to enter pivot mode, then move the pivot while holding down the 'v' key to snap it to another vertex. You can reset the pivot easily by going to 'modify > centre pivot'.
I hope those commands are right, i dont have maya in front of me at the moment to check...

(#9)
Old

Default 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM

hmmm, yet 'daunting' doesnt quite seem to say enough lol :) thanks heaps for your help...! I hadnt even considered scale, so off to investigate... cheers dave (p.s. cant see me being renowned as a modeler anytime soon :)
edit: your model appears to have lens bend, yet no matter how close I moved a cube to the camera I couldnt get it to bend like that?

Last edited by miragenz; 02-07-2012 at 05:59 PM..
(#10)
Old

Default 02-14-2012, 06:58 PM

progress report... plugging in all my textures and alphas...
they're a 16bit colour and a 16bit alpha (with an alpha channel, which I suspect I dont need??), using a lambert in maya...

any better options please share...? :) a question tho; if I lengthen a building or change the geo in anyway after the texture is loaded do I have to break the connection and re-load it or does it not stretch the tiff? cheers dave