HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > Training Resources
Reload this Page what should i do?
Training Resources DVD, Books...

what should i do?
(#1)
Old

Default what should i do? - 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM

hi - first i should say sorry cuz my english not good enugh :) - ant then i have a qustion please:
i want to start animation - in fact i very like makeing vfx for movies and creat realistic models for use in movie like any movies for example Lord of the Rings in this movie we can see Castles and giants . i have qustion how made These and used in the movie ? i want learn this - what should i do in first? now i start maya and after effects but i am really confuse i dont know what should i learn . please help me iam wating to your answer
(#2)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to metalrahul Send a message via Skype™ to metalrahul
Default 08-13-2013, 10:03 AM

I feel you are in the wrong forum. This forum deals only with matte painting which is only a part of whole visual effects process. As your question is very generic, I think you should research more into how visual effects works in film making.

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com

Last edited by metalrahul; 08-13-2013 at 10:07 AM..
(#3)
Old

Default 08-13-2013, 11:43 AM

You may want to try CGTalk as your forum for these questions as this forum is dedicated to a specific type of VFX post production. That being said I have some advice;

Pick something you want to focus on. Most people cannot do it all. Pick one discipline and work on it. That would be 3d modeling, texturing; animation, compositing, etc. If you decide that you don't want to do modeling then find free models online and learn how to do the other tasks.

For beginners, Digital Tutors is a great resource on several applications. Pick some Intro to Maya lessons and then move to your discipline from there. Gnomon Workshop is a great resource for medium to advanced subjects.

If you find that you want to learn multiple disciplines that is fine but make sure that you pick a something as your main discipline. Rarely do studios hire a generalist without years of experience as a generalist. If you are just a hobbyist and not looking to work in the industry then learn what you want knowing that you are only limited by your time and financial investments to the tools.

Good Luck!

Cliff Berry
2d/3d Cinematic Environment Artist
www.blurred-pixels.com
(#4)
Old

Default 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM

thanks - and sorry if my post location not true- for firs i shpuld start drawing in the art school and photoshop? its necessary to me???
(#5)
Old

Default 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiKToR View Post
You may want to try CGTalk as your forum for these questions as this forum is dedicated to a specific type of VFX post production. That being said I have some advice;

Pick something you want to focus on. Most people cannot do it all. Pick one discipline and work on it. That would be 3d modeling, texturing; animation, compositing, etc. If you decide that you don't want to do modeling then find free models online and learn how to do the other tasks.

For beginners, Digital Tutors is a great resource on several applications. Pick some Intro to Maya lessons and then move to your discipline from there. Gnomon Workshop is a great resource for medium to advanced subjects.

If you find that you want to learn multiple disciplines that is fine but make sure that you pick a something as your main discipline. Rarely do studios hire a generalist without years of experience as a generalist. If you are just a hobbyist and not looking to work in the industry then learn what you want knowing that you are only limited by your time and financial investments to the tools.

Good Luck!
Hi
the answer it's already here, i think you should learn more about the movie industry and vfx world, look at the makings in the dvd extra contents, there are plenty of them on the internet too, and once you understand all the different aspects of a movie making, then you will be able to choose what you like most , which can be 3d modeling, texturing, lighting, compositing, matte painting, animation, vfx etc...
There are schools that can teach you all those different things, or you can do it by yourself through tutorials, but as everybody told you here you should focus on the basic knowledge of all the aspects that get involved in a movie making and in vfx first.

Cheers
(#6)
Old

Default 08-14-2013, 06:35 AM

thanks you littlelizard and i ask a qustion of one of person that work in this job he answer me first i should learn drawing in art scholl and then i should learn photoshop and the another . is it true?
(#7)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo-hammad View Post
thanks you littlelizard and i ask a qustion of one of person that work in this job he answer me first i should learn drawing in art scholl and then i should learn photoshop and the another . is it true?
I don't claim to be an expert but I would say drawing is a must whether you do any of the core disciplines in VFX. Whether you learn it in school is up to you. Photoshop is useful for most disciplines and I would say that it would be beneficial to use that too.

littlelizard is correct though, you should learn more about the industry before you pick your discipline. That being said, drawing and photoshop will be useful tools no matter the discipline.

Cliff Berry
2d/3d Cinematic Environment Artist
www.blurred-pixels.com
(#8)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 11:15 AM

thank you RiKToR