HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page painting with superbrights (32 bit) and how best to juggle
General Discussions News, Chat ...

(#11)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to metalrahul Send a message via Skype™ to metalrahul
Default 02-26-2011, 05:58 AM

guess what, there are already 1,400+ views for this thread in such a short time... It is tempting me to write a blog entry on these workflows as this information is not available anywhere else on web... :D

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com

Last edited by metalrahul; 02-26-2011 at 06:06 AM..
(#12)
Old

Default 02-28-2011, 08:07 AM

Good idea!

Do it!
(#13)
Old

Default 03-11-2011, 06:15 AM

yep, finally found some time to write up a short note about this discussion and as well as some of my research on this issue. Thanks to Jbills for this thread :)

http://raysinblue.blogspot.com/2011/...whites-in.html

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com
(#14)
Old

Default 05-16-2012, 01:28 AM

sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I found this via a quick search on the net to see what's out there for alternate matte painting techniques. The superbrights element caught my attention and I've read your blog post metalrahul as well as this thread, and I want to be sure I'm not missing something.

In an attempt to get a handle on what it was you were dealing with, I rendered a 32 bit image from maya of just a ball and plane lit with a bright light. The resulting EXR I took to photoshop and applied an exposure adjustment layer, I lowered the exposure to see the information in the white area.. ie your superbrights. As I was working in 32bit, i selected an RGB value of 2 to have the super brights. set to low opacity and began to paint in new unique super brights..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...perbright3.jpg

so my question is, is there a downside to this? Since the adjustment layer doesn't affect the 32bit image since it's a non destructive edit, and you can turn it on and off as you work so you can see the end result.. it appears to save fine. Haven't taken it to Nuke yet to confirm, but I'll assume it works for now.

So, yeah I'm not sure if I missed the point or not.. It actually didn't really occur to me to work this way, until reading this thread :)

oh.. and I'm using CS4 to do this..

thanks in advance :)
(#15)
Old

Default 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM

I think you are technically on the right track but the point of whole discussion was that most of Photoshop's functions / tools are not geared towards 32 bit matte painting workflow so we were trying to find a workaround and also it was more to do with LOG images which is a different ball game compare to 32 bit linear CG render.

PS: Btw, have you tried LayersLayers tool by Zach Mandt? I think its solves the whole issue and now my only complain is when Photoshop will support .3Dlut instead of ICC color profiles? :D

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com