MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > Articles
Reload this Page Tablet PCs
Articles Tips and Articles

Tablet PCs
(#1)
Old

Send a message via AIM to britishrebel04 Send a message via MSN to britishrebel04 Send a message via Skype™ to britishrebel04
Default Tablet PCs - 06-20-2008, 02:02 PM

Hello all,

I'm seriously considering getting a tablet pc to carry around and get more drawing in. Does anyone use them or know whether or not they are worth getting? If so, which ones would you suggest?

Cheers!

Jessi

Live hard, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse

www.jessihardin.com
http://britishrebel04.deviantart.com/
Re: Tablet PCs
(#2)
Old

Default Re: Tablet PCs - 06-21-2008, 05:13 AM

Hi
I have a little Wacom tablet, old of 4 years, but it is changing absolutly the way you draw..
I am not a painter, but even using it with Photoshop brushes is giving you totally another sence of using color brushes, tracing lines and so on, is really like have a real vrush in your finger, so i think that is worth 100% to have one and you will see the difference...

Of course i suggest a Wacom, there are different kind, but i know that a lot of other company are out with them

Nowaday they are not so expansive, so give a chance and you will see the dfference!!

Cheers
(#3)
Old

Default Re: Tablet PCs - 06-21-2008, 05:50 AM

@Stefanino: I think Jessi was talking about tablet PC's (i.e. a tablet laptop) rather than a normal graphics tablet (where no-one will dispute that WACOM is the way to go).

I've been wanting to get my hands on a ModBook for ages, but they are only available in the US and Canada. If there is no pen lag (always an issue with tablets), then a Modook should be perfect.

@Jessi: Since you ARE in the US, why not see of you can try one?

More info HERE

Take care

AJ

Head of 3D Digital Matte Painting: MPC Vancouver
Personal Website
(#4)
Old

Default Re: Tablet PCs - 06-21-2008, 03:24 PM

I know a couple of professionals that have them and really like them. I've tried it out, can't see the need for it personally. But I learned digital painting using a standard graphics tablet and never had a problem with it.
I think a tablet PC would get on my nerves if only because I want my palettes out of the way on a second monitor.
And I would find my hand getting in the way of my work. And I'd have to be cleaning the screen all the time as a dirty monitor drives me crazy. Plus they're rather expensive. But that's just my opinion.
I'd rather spend the extra $$$ and get more proc power and RAM.

Not that I'm opinionated.....;)

Rick Rische
------------------------------
Digital Matte Artist
(#5)
Old

Send a message via AIM to britishrebel04 Send a message via MSN to britishrebel04 Send a message via Skype™ to britishrebel04
Default Re: Tablet PCs - 06-21-2008, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Stefanino - I actually do have a wacom tablet and absolutely love it, but I was referring to the tablet laptop. I'm a real stickler for technology, especially if it means it'll help me further my skills and thus, my career, which is why I'm seriously considering this particular laptop. It'll make it much more accessible for me to just whip it out and start drawing wherever I am.

Alex - That really stinks that you can't get your ModBook in the UK. Is there an equivalent there for you to you or are you SOL? I'm not much of a Mac fan so I was looking more into the ASUS R1E-B1 Tablet PC. Think it'll be just as good?

rrische - Heh, you're spoiled by dual monitors as well. I suffer from that as well, but it's hard to carry two monitors around when you're traveling or out and about around town. :-)

www.jessihardin.com
(#6)
Old

Default Re: Tablet PCs - 06-22-2008, 03:06 AM

Ooooooooooops, sorry....i thought you were referring to a drawing tablet.....

Unfortunatly i can not help you in this.... i have a laptop pc but i have not used it yet with PS or drawing programs..

see you!
(#7)
Old

Default Re: Tablet PCs - 07-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I've decided to go with the Asus R1E series. I've had it for a bit over a week and I've got to say, I do like it. The only drawback I have with it is that I don't have the shortcuts that I usually have with a computer, like CTRL Z. All has to be done manually...bummer! Oh well I'm still enjoying it!

Cheers! Jessi

www.jessihardin.com
Tablet PCs
(#8)
Old

Default Tablet PCs - 12-19-2009, 06:52 AM

hmm this thing would definately be an asset to my school work, might have to sell off one of my comps and get one, thanks for the info sneezy, never even knew what the heck a tablet pc was before you told me
(#9)
Old

Default 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM

A modbook would be awsome with its screen size its a shame the only company which converted macbooks into modbooks in the uk went bust last year, I got my self a hp tx2000 pc tablet been really handy when wanting to do some art work at lunch, I recently got an archos 9 pc tablet and its perfect in size to do drawings problem with pc tablets is they dnt have enough to do matte paintings always have to transfer to a pc to start a matte painting but for ideas and sketches pc tablets are brill. But then again so is pencil and paper lol hope that helps!