Reload this Page castle
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

castle
(#1)
Old

Default castle - 04-26-2010, 05:41 AM

Hi everybody
thatīs my first message in this Forum
Iīm new in the magic world of matte painting and thatīs one of my first work.
Can you please shut me some critics, I do really them!!!
Something itīs not working in my MP and I have no Idea what that could be.

Thanks

[IMG](http://img63.imageshack.us/i/casty.jpg/)[/IMG]

Last edited by Viola; 04-26-2010 at 06:17 AM..
(#2)
Old

Default 04-26-2010, 09:30 AM

You'll be more likely to get a reply if you embed the image properly! (Copy the WHOLE link from imageshack)

Here it is:

In terms of your image, everything is very flat. The texture on the rock doesn't have any form to it (it looks like you've pasted on a flat texture, and not wrapped it around the volume), and there isn't a defined light direction to help you out.

The composition is also pretty flat - there is no distinct horizon line or aerial perspective to sell the scale of the shot.

It is very atmospheric, but it looks like a level from a platform game (2d, with small amounts of faked depth) rather than a photo of a 'real' 3d scene.

Don't know if that helps you at all - I would guess you have commited the very common error or trying to create an image out of your head without a lot of reference.

Look forward to your next version

AJ

Head of 3D Digital Matte Painting: MPC Vancouver
Personal Website
(#3)
Old

Default 04-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Wellcome to the forum!

It's a nice concept - some crits, since asked:

- Level of detail is same everywhere on the stone structure and on the castle, which suggests that castle is a miniatyre where maker couldn't put enought detail. Maybe some larger junks of stone to the structure (not so textured an detailed everywhere) and more details to the castle would help (assuming castle is build from stones, not carved from one piece of black marble).

- Compared to those windows on towers those birds must be gigantic, which also creates skale issues.

- There might be something with perspective (others can tell this better than I), maybe at least suggesting some horizon would make it easier to judge how it should be (some parts of that kind of structure might be intentianally skeved, but can't tell) and also create some depth and skale.

- Lighting could be more consistent. Now it is hard to tell where the light comes to those structures. Seen lightsources are the red sky (back, up, left), orange lava stream (back, down) and windows - still the structure has light from the front, sometimes reddis, sometimes bluish and castle seems not be affected by all the red light at all.

- Color ranges are quite narrow and saturation is quite high. Maybe lessening saturation from some part far away would also add some depth.

This was my available 5 minutes. ;-) Hope it helps.
(#4)
Old

Default 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Aj and Halen
thank you soooo much, you both were very helpful now I see were the mistakes are, I'll try to work on it! :)

Yes! Itīs so cool to have someone so good like you guys that can help me to see :)

To replay to Aj you are totally write, I trying to create an image out of my head without a lot of reference.

and I Havenīt used any 3d programs for it, I just try to make a composition with Ps.

Thanks once again ;-)
(#5)
Old

Default 04-26-2010, 01:07 PM

^ I didn't see Alex's post while writin mine, so repeated something already said.
(#6)
Old

Default 04-27-2010, 01:00 PM

I really like the colors of this, maybe you can add some elements in different planes for depth and try to play with some fog or smoke going up from this lava river..your a going to notice the difference.
nice work