MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > Tools
Reload this Page Terragen™
Tools Share Products and Services (related topics only such as brush, texture...)

(#11)
Old

Default 01-13-2006, 06:41 AM

I use terragen for 2 years now and it is amazing how good it is. And i use it only on a computer 5 years (P3, 1000 MHz). You can do lot of good landscape with it. Try it the free version is on their WEB site and have almost all the feature of the complete one who cost only 100$ (i think).

With TG2 (terragen ver 2) it will advance to the nextlevel. Can wait for the beta testing.

Shadu
(#12)
Old

Default 01-13-2006, 07:48 AM

I agree...distance stuff it's passable sometimes, but not up front with close up camera movements.
If you haven't checked out Eric Hanson's dvd's at Gnomon...check em out. It's amazing stuff. Sure it's a little more complex than the create it yourself terrain but the results are great and it could apply to modifying the terrain to meet one's particular needs. The results are alot better for film work than procedural textured terrain.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/eha04.html

I'm open to any tools available to get the job done...as long as the result is amazing and believable. And the terrain generators have a looong way to go.

+smooth+
(#13)
Old

Default 01-13-2006, 09:07 AM

A bit confused about something. I thought DD used proprietary software for procedural landscape generation? Are they using the same terragen that's available to all?

thanks,

Adam
(#14)
Old

Default 01-13-2006, 10:56 AM

Yeah DD has an in house version. I think one of the original developers may be involved with a public version as I think Alp said. everything Ive seen looks really good.. but it isnt currently a tool being put in a matte painters hand.

Brenton Cottman

Digital Matte Artist
(#15)
Old

Default 01-13-2006, 02:15 PM

i think tg is a good starting point if you want a sci-fi or cg kind of look. I even used it on a couple of underwater type shots last year. my prob with it is that it does not look real and thats what the Dir wanted. its very good at what it does but also feels very cg.

Kev jenkins
(#16)
Old

Default 03-05-2006, 01:36 PM

the pebl commercial blew me away when i 1st saw it. i know vray was used on it for rendering but i didnt realise it was also terragen. ive always loved terragen back when they put out the very first public beta and im really looking forward to purchasing tg2
(#17)
Old

Default 03-06-2006, 10:11 AM

RE:DD effects in Stealth

Digital Domain used their proprietary in-house tool "Engen" (sometimes referred to as "Terragen"), which is based on code originally developed by Matt Fairclough while he was working at Digital Domain. Matt is the lead developer of Terragen at Planetside Inc. The code that forms the basis for Engen was also used to ultimately create Planetside's commercial product Terragen 2, although significant development occurred since Matt left Digital Domain and the products are now quite different.

In Stealth, Engen is used primarily for terrain. Vegetation and clouds are done using other tools - Houdini for plants and Digital Domain's own proprietary volumetrics rendering software for clouds. Not all terrain shots were done with Engen and I make no guarantee that any images pictured here are entirely or even partially created using Engen.

link here: http://oshyan.ashundar.com/galleries/index.php?cat=12
hay alp
(#18)
Old

Send a message via AIM to jsbaxter Send a message via Yahoo to jsbaxter
Default hay alp - 03-06-2006, 11:24 AM

Hay Alp..this is Jamie,hows things going over there at my old stomping grounds Hydraulx. Saw your post on Terragen and Vu5. Hows that working out? I thought of getting that Vue program. Dont know which would be better. Have any thoughts? I never really looked into it that much. From first glance they both look like Bryce..on sterioides. If that makes any sense. I like that Vue can export to Maya, although you need to buy that 500$ plug -in ..but its seems better for an existing 3d pipeline
(#19)
Old

Send a message via MSN to plaf
Default 03-06-2006, 12:50 PM

thanks for bringing this up, Alp. was just playing around with it a bit, seems like you can do some rather neat stuff with it! (those clouds on louis bianco's image... wow, just .. wow!)

(#20)
Old

Default 03-06-2006, 04:43 PM

I will share more work I did in Terragen here, also in my own Art Forum. I am also the BETA tester now for the latest verion of Terragen 2.0 which looks AMAZING, and VERY promising.

Within the next few years a lot of people will be surprised what you can do in 3D as far as realistic Vegetation and Terrain creation, as well as real atmospheres and lighting . . .

I also recently bought VUE 5 by www.e-onsoftware.com which according to the article on their site is now also being used at ILM Matte Painters/3D artists.

I am doing tests 3D renders with VUE5 right now, which i will share in here soon . . . the results are amazing how convincing these cg renders can look . . .Also remember, these are straight 3D renders with no compositing or any additional render passes or effects. . . . with several render passes, and compositing touch up, the results will surprise people . . .

Again this is just the beginning of it all . . .I am also happy that some of my 3D artist friends are looking into Terragen and Vue like programs, and start creating 3D matte paintings.

I also did a recent Audio IPOD interview http://www.fxguide.com/article334.html talking about 3D matte paintings . . . I will start using these programs for Movie and Commercial projects soon

<jsbaxter>
Quote:
Hay Alp..this is Jamie,hows things going over there at my old stomping grounds Hydraulx. Saw your post on Terragen and Vu5. Hows that working out? I thought of getting that Vue program. Dont know which would be better. Have any thoughts? I never really looked into it that much. From first glance they both look like Bryce..on sterioides. If that makes any sense. I like that Vue can export to Maya, although you need to buy that 500$ plug -in ..but its seems better for an existing 3d pipeline
Hey Jamie . . . things are really busy here at Hydraulx, we are moving into a new Facility next week, and we hired a lot of new people.As far as Vue 5, I highly recommend it, I bought it last week, and have been working on it non-stop, the results are amazing, especially how fast it is. I will share some of my settings/experiments in here soon.

The Visual FX shots in the movie Stealth are partially done using Terragen . . . a lot of previs shots actually. I was working at Digital Domain back then, where I was sitting next to a guy that was working on the movie using Terragen . .. . amazing stuff . . . I was also sitting with the team of people working on Volumetric Clouds using Whodini at DD. . . we'll be seeing a lot more of this type of 3D matte paintings soon in many movies

<plaf > Glad to share . . . You should go check out what you can do using Vue . . . Combining your 2D skill with these Next-Generation software packages, are soon going to change a few things in VFX

Here is some images to what you can do with this software so far what you can do with this from their website

BELOW IMAGE SHOWCASES VOLUMETRIC CLOUDS using VUE5

http://www.alpaltiner.com
----------------------------------------
THE UNKNOWN Gaphic Novel
http://www.unknownproject.net