MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Artists Showcase
Reload this Page Starno: The Global Flooding of 2010
Artists Showcase Final, Finished Work Only (NO WIP, NO Critique)

Starno: The Global Flooding of 2010
(#1)
Old

Default Starno: The Global Flooding of 2010 - 01-29-2008, 09:35 AM

Hi everyone,

"The Global Flooding of 2010" is an Artwork inspired by the true scientific theory (see the movie "An inconvenient Truth") of a really quick flooding that would touch huge areas of the Earths most densely populated regions.

You can see in this image, the city of Shanghai, China completely flooded.
This scenario involves the melt of glaciers by creating a liquid water (melt zone) layer below the ice that lubricates and moves the ice a very high rate -extremely rapid as glaciers go, flowing the glacier into the ocean. The quantity of water in that sheet would raise sea levels about 15 meters.

This is my first personal matte-painting project that I did concerning the global warming issue. An other one is coming soon. People mostly agrees that something needs to be done about global warming and climate change. However, most people does'nt seems to do something really significant in their live even if the situation is urgent.

I would like to do a contribution to any serious group, organism, company related to environment who want to use this image. I can send this image (a high-resolution for any sort of prints or web) for free, as long as it is use for environment purposes.

Dear mattepainting.org readers, I worked around 10 hours to achieve this image, using only Photoshop and a "degrainer" software. I chose only 2 to 4 photos to do this. The first one comes from my trip in China in November 2007 in the other one comes from the shooting I did last summer involving a women character and a "home-made" boat.

Hope you will enjoy! Feel free to give me your comments. This is always a good to learn from you. But please, don't start an other big talk about "what is real matte-painting" like you did last time in this topic "Castle of Valleyfield at dawn - matte-painting": http://www.mattepainting.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3342

Please no frustrations, no angers this time. I only wants to share an image with you and that is all.

Thank you

Frederic St-Arnaud
www.starno.net

(#2)
Old

Default 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Really nice work - I like it a lot. I love the idea of 'mattepainting for a cause', too...

My only comments about the image itself would be that the hotspot in the sky is a bit distracting, and a maybe a bit too bright given the slightly sombre lighting of the rest of the scene. The focal point of the scene is really the girl (with a really great rim light, BTW), not the sky, and the bright white really draws the eye.

The image might have some more 'impact' for your intended purpose if it was more obvious that this isn't just a transient monsoon flood, but a feature that's here to stay. I'm not 100% sure how you could do this - maybe tide marks on the buildings, algae and seaweed around the waterline, collapsed architecture, a muddy 'beach' butted up against a building, or something similar.

Thanks for showing this.

AJ

Head of 3D Digital Matte Painting: MPC Vancouver
Personal Website
(#3)
Old

Default 01-29-2008, 01:30 PM

This is great. Both the image and the idea. Respect.
(#4)
Old

Send a message via MSN to samsonsreaper
Default 01-29-2008, 03:28 PM

your image works nicely

i am not sure if i would use that much ambient light around the surface. Kind of looks like a dustcloud on top of the surface. And i would tone down the sun intensity slightly.
(#5)
Old

Send a message via MSN to Ricardo Garces
Default 01-29-2008, 04:23 PM

Nice piece.

The only critic I have is regarding scale. I think the side stores are not in scale with the foreground elements. At least it doesn't feel right to me.

But, I give you my congratulations anyway, because I know how tough it is to make a day scene out of nothing. I have been there.

---- ON A SIDE NOTE, AND PLEASE THIS IS NOT A CRITIC OR POLITICAL COMMENT IT IS ONLY MY PERSONAL ANALYSIS AND I ACCEPT OTHER PEOPLE'S POINTS OF VIEW ----

You can shout Global Warming, you can promote your political career with the concern, you can make mattepaintings, you can turn the world upside down.
It is inevitable, to happen. And the reason is simple. Money.

I came to realize that no one wants wars no more. The US is one of the few Countries in the Western World who still battles in the terrain. The new kind of war is monetary.

Currently we are living in a time where there is an energy race. The US managed to held the Middle East, so the Eastern Countries like China and Japan are already starting their economic colonization in Africa, preparing to get their hands on the African Energetic resources.
You can browse the Internet and you will find several articles regarding China's new involvement with Angola, and probably also with South Africa. Although Angola is much more safe.

The reason for these interventions is money.

The only two Countries who do not approve the reduction of CO2 emissions are the US and Russia.
Funny to note that both their territories expand almost to the North Pole.
If there is no ICE there, new comercial routes can be created. There is a lot of potential if there are no barriers in the North Pole.

Now, but wouldn't that be a disaster? YES.
But who cares? Me? you guys? We are nobody.

The World does not belong to the GOOD people. It is in the hands of evil, and we see it everyday. Not those guys that steel your car, not those who steel your purse. Heck not even those who kill the grocery clerk for the money in the register.
Those are products of the society in which we are living, from Germany, across Holland, Belgium, France and England, Spain, Portugal, across the sea, throughout the USA, we all have the same problems.
There are people with huge Yatchs parked at the Miami Marinas, boats that cost more than our homes, and here we are, paying the bank our house, every month.

Those guys are the ones who control the World. For they control the money. They don't care if there is no ICE. Heck, money does everything, even raise a new World Capital in the middle of the Desert like the Saudis are doing in Dubai.

I kind of lost my hope on the Worlds future. Who are we to think we will never have survival problems like our counterpart animals have? Some day there will be no World Wildlife Fund campaign to protect Pandas or Tigers, but instead to protect the people from the areas affected by the raising seas.
The World had a glimpse of that, with Katrina. We are aware.

And the guys from the US who are reading this comment, note, the US is one of the most news related followed Country in the world. While most Americans know nothing about what is happening outside of the US, we are very aware of what is going inside and outside of your Country, and with all those new regulations there is nothing we can do to change the course of these events. You are the ones who should do something, maybe by voting right at the next elections for instance :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I feel very sorry about what will happen in the future. Most our kids will never see the same animals we did, and we cannot say the same about our fathers or grandfathers, they did hunt and they did kill, but we are exterminating on a major scale.
We are leaving them a very hard place to live.

Best to all.

Ricardo.

edit. - I Forgot! Track down a documentary called "The Great Global Warming swindle". It is a tear down to "The inconvenient truth".
But bare in mind, you are the one who should gather the information and reflect upon it, do not take what it is being told for granted, sometimes things can be through a given point of view, and not entirely representative of the reality.
If still don't get what I mean. Check the documentary "Sweet Misery", it's about the dangerous use of Aspartame ( Sweetener ), the basic conclusion of that one is simple, sweetener is either a poison that fills a lot of pockets, or it was the ruin for the sugar companies and they decided to try to scare people with this documentary and try to bring back their costumers.
(#6)
Old

Default 01-29-2008, 04:57 PM

I agree with SampsonsReaper, i would pull back the mist a little coz it does look dusty. Agree too about the harsh sunlight. Nice points there Levi :D

Nick

Digital Matte Painter // Forum Moderator
(#7)
Old

Send a message via MSN to imothep85
Default 01-30-2008, 05:01 AM

very good mattepanting....do you have more??
source image
(#8)
Old

Default source image - 01-30-2008, 07:19 AM

By the way, this is the image source I used for this project.

Thanks for every comments.
Thanks Ricardo for your speach on the subject.

Frederic St-Arnaud
www.starno.net

(#9)
Old

Default 01-30-2008, 07:39 AM

a little bit too much haze for my taste....I know it's a fast way to integrate stuff, but still...

anyway other than that good job

"Digital Art is like magic...and we are all it's Wizards"

-Tiberius Viris-

(#10)
Old

Default 01-30-2008, 08:15 AM

I like this image a lot, you should submit it to a stock site. There are lots of outlets for this image to make money. As this is such a big topic this image says a lot.

Cheers fred for sharing

Rich :)

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
http://www.rockhoppervfx.luxipics.com/