MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Artists Showcase
Reload this Page Starno "One Avenue"
Artists Showcase Final, Finished Work Only (NO WIP, NO Critique)

Starno "One Avenue"
(#1)
Old

Default Starno "One Avenue" - 03-10-2006, 08:33 AM

Hi,

This is a matte-painting for a new building in New York City area. I did it for Alpha-Vision as a previsualization before the real construction.

The building was done in Maya by a modeler at Alpha-Vision and then, when I got the all the passes such as occlusion pass, rgb, puzzle map, etc, I finished the job in photoshop by adding textures and painting. I retouched the origianl photo by adding speedlines, cars, people, sunset and a lot of color corrections.

Thank for comments.

Frederic St-Arnaud
www.starno.net

(#2)
Old

Default 03-10-2006, 11:01 AM

Hi,
That looks fantastic. I'm fairly new to this . I come from a "traditional" photography background. I became really fascinated with matte painting a while ago. How do you texture a thing like that. It looks really incredible. I can handle photoshop but stuff like that makes me realize I've still got a lot to learn.

Best wishes,

Stefan.
www.stefandebatselier.com
(#3)
Old

Default 03-10-2006, 11:59 AM

Hi Stephan,

By the way, you have an impressive collection of celebrity photos on your website. I have no doubt on you about working with cameras and photos. congratulation for your work.

How do I texture a thing like that? Well it could be hard and long to write it into this forum. Quickly, you need good photos and textures, a good knowledge of 3D softwares and Photoshop as well and the rest comes from you... I guess.

Frederic St-Arnaud
www.starno.net
(#4)
Old

Default 03-10-2006, 12:03 PM

Very well integrated ! You should share the 3D model render with the rest of people , so everyone can see the advantage using 3D as a base . . . .

http://www.alpaltiner.com
----------------------------------------
THE UNKNOWN Gaphic Novel
http://www.unknownproject.net

(#5)
Old

Default 03-10-2006, 12:40 PM

Usually Architectural Visualisation texturing is different to 2.5d mattes since a matte would more be used for a movie and needs to render quickly. with the right skills you can create extream low poly models and your details are in the texture map. Kinda like game design these days. With arch viz though usually we go for high poly scenes and the details are in the modeling not the maps (although it does make sence to map certain things than model them). my scenes average between 500,000 polygons to about a few million polygons. This is where strong computers come in handy as well as having nice things like vray to play with which can allow an arch viz guy to animate his 3d scenes at a fairly fast rate.
(#6)
Old

Default 04-29-2006, 04:39 PM

Hi Fred!
Looks somehow familiar ;) !

Nice work indeed and you were quick as light speed !!

Best Regards,

Dan

Daniel Kvasznicza
Concept Artist / Digital Matte Painter

www.inetgrafx.com
www.meduzarts.com
(#7)
Old

Default 04-29-2006, 08:24 PM

This is really amazing stuff. The type of stuff im interested in. If you could or anyone explain what an occlusion pass is exaclty. I do basic stuff in 3dsmax because im learning it in class right now. Also how one gets the fake reflection off the building. Is that painted on flat using photochops?
(#8)
Old

Default 05-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Espnetboy3 : Occlusion pass gives the illusion of bouncing light that you can see in real life. Usually, I use occlusion pass to gives more realism of my 3D geometry. Here is an exemple I found on web:

The fake reflections on the building are created by a mix of photos blended together with different photoshop blending mode such as vivid lights, hard light. I usually use part of my background image.

Frederic St-Arnaud
www.starno.net
(#9)
Old

Default 05-10-2006, 04:55 PM

Hi Frederic,

Thanks for your reply to my question and your kind words about my work.. I'm very sorry my answer comes 2!! months later but for some reason I just saw your message tonight. So please don't think I was being impolite or so ..

As for my naive question on texturing...I've solved that now. :D
I took up 3D modeling and I'm having a lot of fun with it (and some frustration too of course).

Fantastic model of that jet you did there.
And I don't even have ask you what an occlusion pass is........

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Stefan de Batselier
www.stefandebatselier.com
(#10)
Old

Default 05-11-2006, 07:37 AM

Hi Stephan,

No problem about these answers. Sorry if its really short. Good luck with your new 3d work. I like your portefolio. You are very talented. I'm sure you'll be able soon to do what you want.

I just want to be clear about the image of the occlusion pass of the jet I putt in this thread. It's only an image I found on the net by a google search. I did'nt do that at all. It was only an exemple to show you quickly what is occlusion pass. The owner of this image seems to be Andrew Whitehurst here: http://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/amb_occlude.html

Sorry if I was'nt clear in my las post.

Frederic St-Arnaud
www.starno.net