MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page What is ideal college to study matte painting in the UK?
General Discussions News, Chat ...

What is ideal college to study matte painting in the UK?
(#1)
Old

Default What is ideal college to study matte painting in the UK? - 10-20-2004, 06:51 PM

Hi guys

A friend of mine wanted to find out what college in the UK taught matte painting and where did most of the UK digital painters study.

Is there an ideal college that stands out from the rest?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
(#2)
Old

Default 10-20-2004, 07:13 PM

I studied at Bournemouth University in the south of England. I didn't specialize in Matte Painting, I did 3D which was an excellent course. They teach Maya, Houdini, Softimage and Shake. They run you through Photoshop and you can pretty much spend time doing your own projects on the Masters course, which is one year. I haven't heard of anywhere that teaches matte painting on its own. A lot of the people on my course, including me, had done a three or four year course in fine art before that one. It's a good place to go to learn about the whole Digital Effect Industry and the majority of the people I worked with are now employed and moving up the ladder. There is another place in Teeside as well I think. Cheers hope this is of some help.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-20-2004, 07:27 PM

Hi Daniel,

I think there isn't a college that teach just matte painting, maybe there are some colleges that teach some classes about matte painting. Most digital painters graduated in Fine Arts, it's a great choice because you learn a lot of traditional art.

Christian
(#4)
Old

Default 10-21-2004, 04:38 AM

Thanks guys.

Yeah thats what I thought. In Australia the only place that taught digital matte painting was AFTRS (Australian Film Television & Radio School) and that was just a 2 day master class.

I thought that the UK might have had a college like Art Center College of Design in California. It doesn't specificly teach matte painting but alot of well known matte painters seem to have studied there.
(#5)
Old

Default 10-21-2004, 05:30 PM

all the matte painters i know in london came from an arts background not one of us studied to become matte painters, we were all painting professionally before we joined the vfx biz.
as far as i know none of the vfx colleges in the uk teach matte painting.

slart