MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page Need feedback on jungle/ship/ aerial thing I'm doing
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

Need feedback on jungle/ship/ aerial thing I'm doing
(#1)
Old

Default Need feedback on jungle/ship/ aerial thing I'm doing - 02-21-2017, 10:44 PM

Hi ppl, my first post here. I need help.

First off, this isn't a matte painting. I'm nowhere near that level. This is more like key-framing thing, so some blurbs are allowed. However, for this particular piece I do need the matte painters eye to deal with some issues :) So far I'm aware of the following

- There are inconsistencies in forest textures. Part was rendered in Vue, but since I couldn't get satisfying results I had to photo-bash things in first plane.
- Fogs are not all that great (no idea how to fix this, help?).
- Better cloud definition.
- Far back of the ship should be blended a bit in the background

This is a wip, and there are things to work out, but the issue I have is with the overall atmosphere. I wanted to depict a dark cloudy day with traces of ship obscured in distant fog. However I'm not sure if what I've done is "correct". My fog is dark grey. If I transform it into white fog (as it probably should be) that is blending/disappointing in the clouds, the image seems to loose all the atmospheric impact and "heavy/dark" accent it has. I'm still kinda working it out, but I would do well with some help just so I don't wander around aimlessly too much.

All feedback on the atmosphere and work in general is much appreciated. I'm going for a cinematic feel/look obviously.

Thanks

(#2)
Old

Send a message via ICQ to kaustavsinha Send a message via AIM to kaustavsinha Send a message via MSN to kaustavsinha Send a message via Yahoo to kaustavsinha Send a message via Skype™ to kaustavsinha
Default 03-09-2017, 09:15 AM

It's a good attempt, I must say! It looks a-bit monochromatic (tad bit), but the mood is just great! Has a feel of "Avatar" mattes in it! The lights from the helicopter seems to be a-bit off! The one in the far center looks almost duplicated and invisible at first look! Where is the source of light? The focal point must be a-bit more distinct. All-in-all, a good attempt! Keep it up! Take care.

Kaustav Sinha
(Matte Painting Producer & Casting Director)

www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720

Moderator : MattePainting.Org | 3DTotal.com

www.matte-effect.com
(Founder/CEO/Owner)

www.cguniverse.net
(Founder/Administrator : CG Universe)

"Let's Paint The World With Peace!"
(#3)
Old

Default 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it's a bit monochromatic. Movies tend to follow that trend these days, so I decided to have a go as well. Not sure what you meant by light on the heli being a bit off?

Here's another update

(#4)
Old

Send a message via ICQ to kaustavsinha Send a message via AIM to kaustavsinha Send a message via MSN to kaustavsinha Send a message via Yahoo to kaustavsinha Send a message via Skype™ to kaustavsinha
Default 04-11-2017, 10:33 PM

Nice update! I love it!

Kaustav Sinha
(Matte Painting Producer & Casting Director)

www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720

Moderator : MattePainting.Org | 3DTotal.com

www.matte-effect.com
(Founder/CEO/Owner)

www.cguniverse.net
(Founder/Administrator : CG Universe)

"Let's Paint The World With Peace!"