MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page Digital Matte Painting Essentials 5: Camera Projection in Maya
General Discussions News, Chat ...

Digital Matte Painting Essentials 5: Camera Projection in Maya
(#1)
Old

Default Digital Matte Painting Essentials 5: Camera Projection in Maya - 01-09-2014, 02:39 PM

I'm very proud to announce that the final part of my 5 part series, Digital Matte Painting Essentials 5: Camera Projection in Maya is finally out! Camera projection is a tricky process, so I go through it step by step, showing each part of the process in detail. In the second part of the tutorial, I show you advanced camera projection techniques, including how to add moving water and a dramatic changing sky to your projection.

If you do all 5 parts of this series, you will have completed over 12 hours of training, leaning about concept, perspective, form, texturing, and finally camera projection. Unique to this series on Lynda.com, I am offering a prize to the first 2 dozen artists who watch the entire series and produce your own unique castle camera projection. Years ago I made 18 x 24 inch prints of the piece that won me the job as a matte artist at Walt Disney studios, and I discovered a few remaining copies in my files recently. if you send me your completed camera projection, using your own castle, I will send out a personalized, autographed copy of that poster until I run out of them.

The details of the prize are in the last video of the series:

http://www.lynda.com/Maya-tutorials/.../160237-4.html

You will need to be a Lynda.com subscriber to access this video. Even if you are not a subscriber, you can access a representative sample of the videos so you can get a taste of the series before you buy a subscription.

Here are all of the details on the series:
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Digital Matte Painting Essentials 5: Camera Projection in Maya
with: David Mattingly

...is now live in the OTL:
http://www.lynda.com/Maya-tutorials/.../117549-2.html

Course Description:
What really makes a matte painting come to life? A technique called camera projection can transform a 2D matte paintingólike the fiery castle built in previous installments of this seriesóinto a 3D scene, complete with a moving camera and shifting perspective. In this, the fifth and final installment of Digital Matte Painting Essentials, David Mattingly shows how to use Maya's powerful toolset to add perspective and animation. First, you'll break out the layers of the painting, create rough geometry inside Maya to match the forms, and then project texture onto those forms to give them depth. Then you'll learn how to add an animated camera, special effects, and create a fully realized 3D environment from the painting.

Topics Include:
What is camera projection?
Isolating the layers in your painting
Setting up for projection camera
Adding geometry
Projecting textures
Animating the camera
Vertex modeling
Animating the background
Adding flames, smoke, and glows
Rendering your project

Duration:
3h 23m

"Art is not a matter of what you can see, but what you can make other people see."
---Edgar Degas