Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page Night City
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

Night City
(#1)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Chipped Tooth Media
Default Night City - 10-01-2010, 03:03 PM

This is a practice piece I have been working on. I just switched from Max to Maya so I just put this together to make sure I could get the projection mapping correct (technique). Now that I have I am looking back at it thinking it is a bit....flat. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Like I said, I didn't spend too much time painting and concept wise because I was more concerned with the projections. But now I am looking for any ways to beef up the image. I know it is putting the cart before the horse...but you know.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
(#2)
Old

Default 10-02-2010, 05:45 PM

To me the image look slightly washed out, I'm not sure if it's the gamma. Maybe it's the 'fog' from the rain is it possible it's removing too much colour?

Dante Harbridge Robinson
dantehr.co.uk
(#3)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Chipped Tooth Media
Default 10-04-2010, 05:28 PM

Thanks Dante. It was looking a little flat....I think because the haze and rain.

Here is an updated version. It has a litle more detail and I cranked up the contrast a bit to try and preserve some color.

Here is the current animation of it: http://www.vimeo.com/15539649

Let me know what you think. The lightning is a quick stand in - just seeing if I like the idea. I think I am going to lessen the lights spots in the sky and either do away with the lightning or move it closer towards the center so it's not drawing so much attention to the right side.
It still some needs some tweaking but it's getting there I think....I hope.
(#4)
Old

Default 10-10-2010, 12:33 PM

I like it, but I think it needs a few more buildings to give it a city feel rather than just a few lone towers. I watched the animation and I think the projection is working well, but is it possible to get a bit more depth in the sky? Also the cinematography itself, the camera move looks like you are panning to the left as you track backwards, this suggests there's something of interest on the left that you are revealing, but there isn't really anything interesting there (not sure if you're adding it in later, something like a helicopter flying towards the camera). If it's just a simple shot of the buildings there isn't really any need for a pan, I think the track back works fine.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses :)

Dante Harbridge Robinson
dantehr.co.uk