MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Artists Showcase
Reload this Page Alexander Isaksson | Digital Matte Paintings
Artists Showcase Final, Finished Work Only (NO WIP, NO Critique)

(#41)
Old

Default 11-29-2012, 05:58 AM

Alexander,

For what it's worth, I don't feel you are in any danger whatsoever, such as pigeonholing yourself into only dark scenes, as Rich is suggesting. Feel free to master dark and dramatic if you wish, and just keep in mind as I'm sure you are aware, that some matte painting challenges require mid-day type of lighting. The most accomplished artists in the world are drawn to the sun and atmospheric scenes, so follow your gut it's a good instinct. You see it in movies all the time too. It's not to hide or try to cover up flaws in ones ability. It is difficult to pull off any lighting condition in the right way, so that it is believable and serves the story effectively by opening it up farther than a shot with no matte painting could.

Alex is right when it comes to a matte painting job, there's a specific brief to follow and you need to figure out how to solve it and then deliver, but the challenge he gave you sounds so boring it'd make me fall asleep. Working in film is cool to say, but let's face it a lot of the work Alex and others do day to day is not so fun. I've also been there in the trenches on a major production and there's always someone with more authority than you who injects their opinion and directs the imagery. Quite often people aren't so nice about it too.

Just thought I'd let you in on that. Hopefully if you do go for this as a career path then you'll end up working with nice folks who don't try to over direct you, but I highly doubt you'll find too many people who've gone through the over direction (sometimes horrible micro managing and nit picking for no good reason) at studios and then end up in supervisor roles to act much different. It's all about being more right than the next guy and advancing careers, impressing people, proving yourself regularly, credits, pressure, reputation (fear some newbie will hurt their precious reputation), and I can't stand it.

Vfx matte painting on the job is not a ball of fun, I know that much.
(#42)
Old

Default 11-29-2012, 06:27 AM

I was not trying to be boring, dramatic lighting and darks done well are really good. I Just wanted Alexander to push himself as he had done with what Alex gave him as a challenge which he did a really good job by the way.

As for matte painting photorealism counts, my photography students (I teach photography outside of work) think dark is good and we have a hell of a time pulling them towards the light. Just saw this happening with Alexander, also this morning whilst do a matte I naturally darkened it and had to stop myself.

Matte painting can be boring repetitive work, imagine painting out 400 tv aerials and satellite dishes for a rooftop shot of morocco. That kills me however the practice and ethics and workflow teaches you a lot and a money shot like a ES shot is a privilege to work on, even on the 8th redraft.

As for office politics and working conditions, dont get me started, a pat on the back is the recce for the knife :-)

However as director of Rockhopper VFX anyone working for me is a valued member of the team, with access to advice, training and personal development. A lot of my future team workers are on these forums and I am trying to educate and develop these people so that the art of Matte Painting continues. We here at RVFX are a team no matter what production we happen to be working on. Currently two independent films and one corporate.

That is why I am investing my time in helping such people as Alexander here. Even if what I come out with is a little boring.

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
http://www.rockhoppervfx.luxipics.com/
(#43)
Old

Default 12-06-2012, 10:06 PM

Hello rockhoppermedia & gfilmman.
Thank you both for your comments, I really appreciate them.

@rockhoppermedia; I don't really feel like I'm in my comfort zone when it comes to dark pictures etc. I just enjoy doing dark mattes. However, doing a cityscape will definitely take me out of the comfort zone. And yes, I will do the challenge you said. I have never done a cityscape before so it will be challenging. I am not sure when I it will be done but I will start working on it as soon as my current little matte is done. Once again, thanks.

@gfilmman; Thanks for the info about the industry. It is good to know. I am working towards becoming a professional matte painter and hopefully to work at my dream company (hopefully I'll able to do that). Thanks once again.

Take care guys,

-Alexander I

Alexander Isaksson, 22, DMP/Env artist @Framestore Montreal

Last edited by AlexanderConcept; 12-07-2012 at 02:26 AM..
(#44)
Old

Default 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Hio,

A quick update with a matte painting I started a few weeks ago. Worked on it a couple of hours each week.
(Still waterfalls, to show pos.)

This one is inspired by "The Hobbit" movie.
______

Also, I've got a new website: http://www.alexanderisaksson.net/
Take a look if you want to. And I've got my first IMDB credit. Worked as a previs-artist on the short movie "Appalachia".

I hope you all had a nice Christmas & new years.

Take care & thanks for looking,

-Alexander I

Last edited by AlexanderConcept; 01-10-2013 at 11:49 PM..
(#45)
Old

Default 01-30-2013, 04:09 PM

Hio,

Just updating with a matte painting I did for a short movie called "Attack of the Yeti". It is directed by John Haggard.

It was hard because it was supposed to be at night but yet the details should be visible so I had to keep it 'quite bright'.

I have never done a summer to winter matte painting nor a day to night matte painting and this one was both.. But it was really fun and I definitely learnt a lot.

Thanks for looking,

-Alexander I

Last edited by AlexanderConcept; 02-11-2013 at 08:19 AM..
(#46)
Old

Default 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Hey,

Here is one of my latest matte paintings that I did for David Luong's matte painting workshop over at cgsociety.org. It was great fun and I learnt a lot.

Thanks for looking,

-Alexander I

Plate

Finished

Last edited by AlexanderConcept; 04-14-2013 at 04:10 PM..
(#47)
Old

Default 04-14-2013, 04:09 PM

nice to see you still putting stuff out, listen to David on his critiques the guy is a genius at this, I would love to see more of your work,

Rich

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
http://www.rockhoppervfx.luxipics.com/
(#48)
Old

Default 04-15-2013, 07:19 AM

Hi Alexander,

Nice dark, dramatic shot. Really sets a mood. Great improvements overall on your image making techniques.

Good job,
-g
(#49)
Old

Default 04-20-2013, 09:10 AM

Hello rockhoppermedia & gfilmman,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it. :)

Take care,

-Alexander I

PS. I highly recommend David's course over at cgsociety.org

(#50)
Old

Default 07-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Hi everyone,

Here's my latest matte painting and this is the last one I'm gonna do that's 100% landscape. Going to start working with cityscapes(ish) and focus on that for some time.

Thanks for looking,

-Alexander I