MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Artists Showcase
Reload this Page Alexander Isaksson | Digital Matte Paintings
Artists Showcase Final, Finished Work Only (NO WIP, NO Critique)

(#61)
Old

Default 09-15-2014, 03:29 AM

Hi all,

It's been a while since my last post but here are two matte paintings I've recently finished.

__

New matte painting with camera projection. For this one I used Nuke/Maya/VRay/Photoshop.
Still a bit new to the whole camera projection thing but it's so much fun and Nuke is really awesome.

Here is the projection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds99...ptqsx0Vxbdq6uw

__

This is a quicker matte painting where I tried to keep it more natural.

Next up is finishing my full 3D environment. Will post in the WIP section once I have some more stuff to show. :)

Thanks for looking,

-Alexander I

Alexander Isaksson, 22, DMP/Env artist @Framestore Montreal
(#62)
Old

Default 10-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Hello,

(1). Here is a new little matte painting project. For this one I did some quick modeling/texturing etc in Maya and rendered everything with VRay to give me a decent 3D base. I also rendered some passes to help make the the paint-over process easier and faster. Never worked this way before but it was a looooot of fun. :)

Maya/VRay/Mudbox/WM/Photoshop/Nuke.

3D render/plate

(2). Also here is another quick matte painting I did for fun. I had been working a lot with 3D when I did this so wanted a little break from it.

DMP

Plate

Last edited by AlexanderConcept; 10-16-2014 at 04:49 PM..
(#63)
Old

Default 10-19-2014, 09:35 PM

Hello all,

I just finished my first student showreel and would like to share it with you all.

I am currently looking for a matte painting junior position abroad, I am prepared to relocate on short notice.

- Matte Painting experience from TVC
- Knowledge in Autodesk Maya/Mudbox, the Foundry Nuke, Adobe Photoshop/After Effects and World Machine
- Experience in 2.5D projections
- Modeling for projections
- Experience using Vray

You can always contact me at: alexoisaksson@gmail.com

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/alexand...son/65/745/297

Here is the showreel:
https://vimeo.com/109415548

www.alexanderisaksson.net

Thanks,

-Alexander I

Last edited by AlexanderConcept; 10-28-2014 at 10:59 PM..
(#64)
Old

Default 10-19-2014, 11:13 PM

Good stuff Alex. Keep it up!
(#65)
Old

Default 10-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Hey Jadrien, thanks alot. I appreciate it :)

(#66)
Old

Default 10-31-2014, 04:48 PM

Hi Alex

A few thoughts on your reel.

The first image looks cool but I'm not sure that I buy the mid ground trees. Maybe real photographic elements might work better? Repeating what you did with other areas of the render. I think that the render looks cool with real warmth in the sunlight. Very idyllic. Maybe the matte could be more like that?

In your second shot the sky looks a little too dark to me. The shadow values in the background mountains are the same as the shadow values in the sky when I would expect the sky values to be brighter.
Making the mid ground mountains less symmetrical might help the shot. It's clear that the mountains surround an open space and help lead our eye to the larger mountain but the symmetry feels a little unnatural to me.
The left mid ground mountain is in shadow in your DMP. Maybe this is receiving some direct illumination? I find that creating very basic geometry in Maya and lighting that for reference can really help you to be sure that what you're painting is physically correct. If you can model something quickly this can really help. Just an idea.
Although we pass over a lot of ground I think it would be nice to see more parallax in the shot. The mountains are grouped very closely so it is tough to really see the parallax between them. Adding a foreground element which we fly over might help here to create more depth.

In your third shot the buildings are of a similar height. It isn't a problem however it might be nice to have more variation in their height. They are similar in design which may be what you want however I think having more variation in these buildings will help add interest and believability. I would also look at the window reflections in the plate and be sure that your DMP matches. The buildings also cut off sharply. Maybe you could add visible details to the roofs to break this?

In your fourth shot I am not sure on the camera move and its initial raise. I think that the city itself could be improved. Attempting to create a city in CG by oneself is a lot of work. The city as it stands in my opinion lacks realism. There is a lot of repetition and a lack of detail which I would expect to see. I would suggest based on your camera move to use photos to build your city or at least as a base to add to and then come in with specific architectural elements over the top. Towers etcetera. Organic elements such as trees may help too.

The foreground dunes lead the eye to the city but I'm not sure that they're really working. Maybe having a flat floor might be better and also more dynamic as the camera will be higher off the ground. I think that the fact that we don't see all the way to the bottom of the dunes where they meet the floor isn't really helping.

Just a few thoughts really. Hope this helps.
(#67)
Old

Default 01-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for your great feedback, I really appreciate it and I totally agree with what you're saying. Thanks alot of the cool tips aswell!

Here are two new quick mini-projects I've done.

*Edit: Added another test using the same techinque. Don't want to spam the forum*

Here I experimented a bit with overcast and trying to create a moody image whilst keeping it relativly bright.

For this one I tried a bit different approach. It's a full 3D scene created with Terragen 3 and with some editing done in PS/Nuke. Alot of fun.

Thanks for looking,

-Alexander I

Last edited by AlexanderConcept; 06-24-2016 at 06:26 AM..
(#68)
Old

Default 05-22-2016, 12:02 PM

Hey guys,

It's been a veeery long time since my last post.

Unfortunately I don't have any new finished personal work to show but I just wanted to let you know that I updated my website/showreel with some new stuff!

Feel free to check it out. :)

http://www.alexanderisaksson.net

Thanks for looking,
Alexander I

Last edited by AlexanderConcept; 05-22-2016 at 12:40 PM..
(#69)
Old

Default 07-05-2017, 08:32 AM

Hello everyone,

It's been ages since I updated this thread so I just wanted to share with you my latest showreel.

Updated with some of my work from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast".

Feel free to take a look :)

https://vimeo.com/224128660

Thank you,
-Alexander I

Last edited by AlexanderConcept; 07-05-2017 at 08:36 AM..