MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page /!\ Sci-Fi Matte Painting of post-apocalyptic Paris needed
General Discussions News, Chat ...

/!\ Sci-Fi Matte Painting of post-apocalyptic Paris needed
(#1)
Old

Default /!\ Sci-Fi Matte Painting of post-apocalyptic Paris needed - 02-04-2007, 07:41 AM

Hello everybody! I just discovered this site on the web and was really pleased to see that there is a community of matte painters!

I allow myself to post here because I'm a young french filmmaker and I'm still working on my last movie: "Le Dernier" ( The Last ), a Sci-Fi ultra-low-budget movie of a lone man trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic Paris, trying to avoid his mind turning into madness.

As you can imagine, the movie uses a lot of matte-paintings to turn the city of Paris into devasted ruins.

As far as I've worked ( I'm still studying cinema, so I'm not a mattepainting-master :roll: ), I just miss the matte-painting for the final shot: in fact, the character is looking trough the window of his apartment and looks at the skyline of the city, revealing amounts of well-known burnt buildings, including the Eiffel Tower. I would be so pleased if you would accept to help me finish the post-production by doing the final matte painting...if you've a bit of free time, and, of course, if you're interested.

If you want, you can see the actual state of the movie here :

http://allumeprod.free.fr/films_lede..._ledernier.htm

You can also take a look at these:

The actuel final shot using a copyrighted image by Rowan Cassidy:

Original (c) image by Rowan Cassidy:

The concept drawings made for the final shot:

The final [ACTUAL] shot elements:

The crap I'm trying to do :D :

Various matte paintings that approach the style I'm looking for:

I really hope that you'll be interested and that your art could figure into my movie.

Thanks a lot for having read me :)
Have a nice day.

Yann
(#2)
Old

Default 02-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Brilliant... Love the concept and initial idea... Wish I could help bt, alas,
I am only a novice at Digital Matte painting... I just wanted to say thanks
for sharing and good luck with the movie... Love the art...

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.
Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
(#3)
Old

Default 02-09-2007, 08:27 AM

Hi everybody and thanks a lot for your reply Shamma :) !
I've found a few photos for the final compositing and decided to post them here if anybody would be interested in working on this project.

Just MP me if you have any questions or send a mail to
- contact [at] allumeprod [dot] com - ( replace with the corresponding symbols the words 'at' and 'dot' // for avoiding spam // )

The photo of Paris I've taken from the apartment of a friend of mine ( the erase of the fence must be completed )

And a few skies :

Contact me if you want the complete .zip file with all concept drawings and digital photos ressources.
(#4)
Old

Default 02-09-2007, 02:59 PM

If you would like my suggestion, we in this community havent had a matte painting challenge in some time, it may be a thought to arrange a challenge with plate you want to use and tell the people to destroy paris but leave certain notable buildings standing. I guess at that point you have some choices to get the matte your looking for. Also if its exceptionally well done the prize could be that artist's matte in your final shot. This could be interesting and could also gain some notice and reel work for the artist. I believe you should stipulate that if the matte is not of production quality then it may or may not be in the final shot. Just a suggestion but you may get some wonderful art but that depends on the amount of people the do the challenge. Let us know, but I think if you have the time and no one is yet willing to do your shot that this may spike some more interest.

Cliff Berry
2d/3d Cinematic Environment Artist
www.blurred-pixels.com
(#5)
Old
MP

Default 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM

follow up here:
http://www.mattepainting.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2812

MattePaintin.Org is brought to you by: