MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > MP Studio > Challenge, Contest, Workshop
Reload this Page Beyond Pandora - Björn Kähler
Challenge, Contest, Workshop This forum is dedicated to Contests and workshops to challenge your skills and get a chance to compare your work with others within the same theme.

Beyond Pandora - Björn Kähler
(#1)
Old

Default Beyond Pandora - Björn Kähler - 02-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Hey fellow matte-artists,

here are my first quick composition exploration sketches for this challenge.

I took the time to re-watch AVATAR again and its still such a marvelous world to dive in.
Really cool topic, I´m excited to start this one.
Let me which of these sketches you like and which of them are utter nonsense, so I know how to proceed :D

happy painting guys!
All the best
Björn

Last edited by kaustavsinha; 02-11-2017 at 10:58 PM..
(#2)
Old

Send a message via MSN to imothep85
Talking 02-08-2017, 07:35 AM

i think the best concepts are C & E
(#3)
Old
MP

Default 02-11-2017, 05:47 PM

I like e as well : )

MattePaintin.Org is brought to you by:
Awesome stuff, Björn!
(#4)
Old

Send a message via ICQ to kaustavsinha Send a message via AIM to kaustavsinha Send a message via MSN to kaustavsinha Send a message via Yahoo to kaustavsinha Send a message via Skype™ to kaustavsinha
Smile Awesome stuff, Björn! - 02-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Wow man! First off, thanks a-lot for giving a start to a dead contest; after like a week, we received just 2 responses, that too including the Jury member, Frederic St-Arnaud, who actually elaborated my title of "Beyond Pandora"! So sad! Anyways, it's great to see you again after your win at the "CG Universe" (www.cguniverse.net)!

I loved all of them! But, my favorites are : D (best), H & C (last)! I chose D, because it shows the floating mountains of the Pandora moon at far distance, with great depth and perspective!!! Keep it up, man! Take care.

Thanks,

Kaustav Sinha
(Matte Painting Producer & Casting Director)

www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720

Moderator : MattePainting.Org | 3DTotal.com

www.matte-effect.com
(Founder/CEO/Owner)

www.cguniverse.net
(Founder/Administrator : CG Universe)

"Let's Paint The World With Peace!"
cheers guys
(#5)
Old

Default cheers guys - 02-14-2017, 04:21 PM

hey guys,

thanks for your response and creative feedback. I am not really happy with most of these sketches, so I am doing a few more of these exploration sketches.

It´s sad to see there is no participation yet :( This certainly needs more attention! Maybe we can find some websites to spread the news, like 3dtotal, CGmeetup, CGChannel and similar sites?

Since I want to try out a 3D heavy approach, I have been doing some tests, creating trees in speedtree and scattering those around. Its quite fun and I got some interesting results (maybe a tad bit too much fog ^^):

Last edited by kaustavsinha; 02-14-2017 at 06:50 PM..
(#6)
Old

Send a message via ICQ to kaustavsinha Send a message via AIM to kaustavsinha Send a message via MSN to kaustavsinha Send a message via Yahoo to kaustavsinha Send a message via Skype™ to kaustavsinha
Smile 02-14-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoernkaehler View Post
hey guys,

thanks for your response and creative feedback. I am not really happy with most of these sketches, so I am doing a few more of these exploration sketches.

It´s sad to see there is no participation yet :( This certainly needs more attention! Maybe we can find some websites to spread the news, like 3dtotal, CGmeetup, CGChannel and similar sites?

Since I want to try out a 3D heavy approach, I have been doing some tests, creating trees in speedtree and scattering those around. Its quite fun and I got some interesting results (maybe a tad bit too much fog ^^):
You are most welcome, Bjorn! Yeah, man! :( I already posted the ad of the challenge at the CGSociety : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...=196&t=1436406. But still, no reply! :( I don't know the reason! The concept looks promising! I think, you might try to flesh out a couple of the B&W WIP images that, you created initially; I really loved many of them! :) Keep it up! Take care.

Kaustav Sinha

www.matte-effect.com
(Founder/CEO/Owner)

www.cguniverse.net

(#7)
Old

Default 02-15-2017, 04:06 PM

Probably the problem is, that most forums arent active anymore (CGTalk included unfortunately). I think you should try to advertise on all the different Facebook pages (CGChannel, CGmeetup, 3DTotal ...), just contact them they usually share challenges like this one.
(#8)
Old

Post 02-19-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoernkaehler View Post
Probably the problem is, that most forums arent active anymore (CGTalk included unfortunately). I think you should try to advertise on all the different Facebook pages (CGChannel, CGmeetup, 3DTotal ...), just contact them they usually share challenges like this one.
Yeah, I will do so! This is a huge opportunity for budding matte artists, to test their skills; don't know why none are interested! A big thanks to you, Bjorn for keeping the contest alive! :) You are just great!

PS : I would love to see couple of your B/W concept sketches fleshed out! They look surreal!

Take care.

Thanks,

Kaustav Sinha

www.matte-effect.com
(Founder/CEO/Owner)

www.cguniverse.net

(#9)
Old

Default 02-21-2017, 10:04 AM

Hey man,

A bit late to the party but nice concepts! :) I really like D & C. I think D with the FG vines from A flipped, would be killer.

Keep it up,
-Alexander I

Alexander Isaksson, 22, DMP/Env artist @Framestore Montreal
(#10)
Old

Smile 02-23-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderConcept View Post
Hey man,

A bit late to the party but nice concepts! :) I really like D & C. I think D with the FG vines from A flipped, would be killer.

Keep it up,
-Alexander I
I second with you, Alexander! Will you participate in this contest? You are a great artist! Take care.

Kaustav Sinha

www.matte-effect.com
(Founder/CEO/Owner)

www.cguniverse.net