Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > Articles
Reload this Page Skies
Articles Tips and Articles

Skies
(#1)
Old

Default Skies - 04-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any tips on skies in general, I find that this area in particular is more challenging for me. It mainly seems to be a problem when I have a concept painting and begin to replace sky with photos, concepts are typically more saturated and after correction the photos seem to be quite grayed/washed out for some reason, and pushing the saturation just can't be done, due to a loss of value and contrast through all the correcting.

I do correct on values first with a layer filled with solid black on saturation mode at the top of the layer stack, then colour correct to the hue afterwards both with curves. Is this method recommended?

Any processes or workflow tips on skies would be awesome, and any places you could direct me to regarding some more information or tutorials, would also be great.

Last edited by am_242; 04-10-2014 at 02:37 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 04-11-2014, 04:31 AM

The very first question is, what sky imagary are you working with?

Skies have a very high dynamic range. If you're working with 8bit photos, it's not surprising that they start to fall apart ofter a bit of pulling & pulling.

See if you can get raw or HDR imagary & work in 16bit.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-11-2014, 07:20 AM

Yes it must be just adding to the problem, as I find getting decent reference photos of skies is very difficult, the quality of most of the photos is terrible. Do you know of any place I can actually get raw/ HDR imagery, as I do not have a fancy SLR or the weather in this country to shoot the photo's I need. thanks