Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page Questions Concerning Matte Painting Industry
General Discussions News, Chat ...

Questions Concerning Matte Painting Industry
(#1)
Old

Default Questions Concerning Matte Painting Industry - 10-07-2016, 11:18 AM

Hello,

I apologize if there is a more appropriate channel to ask these, or if they have already been answered somewhere I could not find. Thanks in advance for reading!

One of my professors suggested that I study matte painting based on my interests, and I find the process very fulfilling and the history fascinating, but I have a few questions regarding how matte painters function in the industry, and I was hoping you could help:

1) Do most matte painters operate as freelancers, as do a lot of entertainment artists? Or is it a position that a lot of studios would have someone in house for? A mixture of both?

2) I know that matte painting began and largely operates within the context of film, but I'm curious if anyone here has experience applying their skills to different fields? For example, I see a lot of video games that seem to utilize matte painting techniques, but would they hire a matte painter for that, or would this be the responsibility of the environment artists?

3) On the same note as the previous question, are their other fields that matte painting lends itself well to, such as environment art/concept art? My understanding is that they all require very different skills, but I'm wondering if the commonalities between them allow some matte painters to pursue other art department positions.

Thank you very much for the help, it's appreciated! :)
(#2)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to metalrahul Send a message via Skype™ to metalrahul
Default 10-18-2016, 08:21 AM

1) It's a mixture of both. Usually senior level artists get most of the good paid freelance work.

2) Matte paintings are used mainly in feature films, TV shows, TV commercials, music videos, game cinematics

Environment artist (3D) and matte painting artist (2D) are becoming one role these days. So if you plan to start out in this industry then it's good idea to start embracing 3D tools.

3) One can obviously venture into concept art, 3D generalist or even lighting TD depending upon his or her's skillet.

Also checkout this recent thread, I think you may find it useful.
http://mattepainting.org/vb/showthread.php?t=8319

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com

Last edited by metalrahul; 10-18-2016 at 10:36 AM..
(#3)
Old

Default 10-20-2016, 08:28 PM

Thank you, metalrahul, much appreciated
(#4)
Old

Send a message via ICQ to kaustavsinha Send a message via AIM to kaustavsinha Send a message via MSN to kaustavsinha Send a message via Yahoo to kaustavsinha Send a message via Skype™ to kaustavsinha
Default 10-23-2016, 01:47 PM

I am not at all a good Matte-Painter, but all I can say is that, Matte-Painters can very well become Concept Artists and also Art Directors/Production Designers! Exception can be of Sir James Cameron, who became a Film Director/Producer/Writer from once being a Matte-Painter! :) Again, you can just ignore my opinions! Take care and all the very best!

Kaustav Sinha
(Matte Painting Producer & Casting Director)

www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720

Moderator : MattePainting.Org | 3DTotal.com

www.matte-effect.com
(Founder/CEO/Owner)

www.cguniverse.net
(Founder/Administrator : CG Universe)

"Let's Paint The World With Peace!"
(#5)
Old

Default 10-28-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustavsinha View Post
I am not at all a good Matte-Painter, but all I can say is that, Matte-Painters can very well become Concept Artists and also Art Directors/Production Designers! Exception can be of Sir James Cameron, who became a Film Director/Producer/Writer from once being a Matte-Painter! :) Again, you can just ignore my opinions! Take care and all the very best!
I won't ignore them, they are very much appreciated! Thank you very much :)