Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page Space Island
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

Space Island
(#1)
Old

Default Space Island - 10-14-2012, 02:16 AM

Hi Everyone !

It's been awhile since I've post here so here is a new matte painting i'm working on and i hope you'll enjoy it.
It's kind of an island floating into space I have to create for a french amateur movie. In the beginning of the shot, the camera stand right on the floor focusing on the main characters then we make a crash zoom out until we discover that the characters are actually on a floating island into deep space.
There is still a LOT of work to do and I REALLY want to create an image which will kick some asses so I hope you will help me and point my mistakes :D
Currently I improve some difficulties to establish my lighting precisely. I think the picture is pretty cool right now but I don't know ... I feel something's probably wrong ^^

So comment, critic, or not and have a good day

(#2)
Old

Default 10-14-2012, 08:30 PM

I think as long as the lighting that affects the planet and the floating island appears to come from the same source, you'll end up with a good result. Some of the forms you're finding are already quite engaging, and the island is already starting to look dynamic. I think the image could benefit by replacing the earth/planet with something a bit higher res, and perhaps with a clearer light direction--NASA has a bunch of great ones, and their usage requirements are generous. It's a good start in my opinion, I look forward to seeing where you take it. Good luck!!
(#3)
Old

Default 10-15-2012, 06:17 AM

Its looking good. One thing you may want to think about while you are still working on it is the frame size/aspect ratio. At the moment, you probably wont have any problems using at at 4:3 or 16:9. But if you start adding any other details to the image, it may be something worth considering; especially if you are doing for a movie.
I just cropped you image in Photoshop, and i personally think it looks a lot more dynamic with a 16:9 crop, but it depends on the movie you are doing it for.
Im looking forward to seeing the end result!

Cheers