Matte Painter for Pixar Animation Studios
Summary of job:
Develop paintings of imaginary worlds, landscapes, & sets. Create establishing shots that help visualize the scene; paintings that convey mood, atmosphere and depth that support specific scenes from the story. Produce concept and matte paintings in conjunction with the Production Designer and Directorís vision.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ability to follow Production Designerís direction to produce complex matte painted elements at a high standard, with a thorough understanding of perspective, lighting, and color.
- Ability to produce concept art that conveys the style, lighting and tone of assignment.
- Ability to create painted environments and landscapes appropriate for the look of the film.
- Ability to create matte painting studies and color thumbnail paintings in development of a given scene.
- Needs to be able to paint to match rendered images with precision.
- Ability to take Art direction well, to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to complete paintings within a fast paced, dynamic, deadline driven environment, according to expectations.
- Along with technical colleague, responsible for troubleshooting the components they've painted.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong composition, color & layout skills as well as knowledge of camera positioning essential.
- Strong knowledge of matte painting techniques. Demonstrates high proficiency in Photoshop and displays an understanding of 2d compositing software and 3d projection work in Maya to enable integration to be at the highest level. Other software skills advantageous to possess include Shake.
- Knowledge of architectural design, landscape photography and good visual research skills helpful.
- Solid understanding of lighting and natural atmospheric effects helpful.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present ideas in a clear, concise manner.
- Capacity to work collaboratively with art & technical teams.
Background, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required at Minimum:
- Bachelorís degree in Fine Art/Painting or Illustration preferred.
- Two plus years related experience.
- Matte paint and traditional painting portfolio required.
- Expertise in Photoshop required. Basic understanding of Maya, Unix/Linux and Illustrator.
- Experience with 3D animation systems and compositing a plus.
After applying online (http://www.pixar.com), please submit a sample flatwork portfolio (no VHS and/or DVD demo reels) demonstrating detailed matte painting experience. Your portfolio should include:
- Sample images of matte paintings as well as traditional paint work.
- Screen grabs and/or renders are also encouraged.
- Include a shot breakdown, identifying the sections of the shot that you painted. Did you do any modeling, UV mapping, lighting, shading, or solely matte paint?
Sample flatwork can be mailed to:
Pixar Animation Studios
1200 Park Avenue
Emeryville, CA 94608
Given the quantity of portfolios we receive, weíre unfortunately not able to return portfolios so please donít include originals.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.