MattePainting.Org

MattePainting.Org (http://mattepainting.org/vb/index.php)
-   Old School (http://mattepainting.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Al Whitlock - Visual Effects Society’s tribute to on-line. (http://mattepainting.org/vb/showthread.php?t=2745)

cbarron 03-31-2007 11:23 AM

Al Whitlock - Visual Effects Society’s tribute to on-line.

I put together this Visual Effects Society’s tribute to Al Whitlock and thought members here in the forum might like to see it at the link below. Check it out soon, as I’m not sure how long it will be on the web. The montage clips and panel includes Jim Danforth, John Landis, Robert Boyle and Bill Taylor at the link below:

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

MattePaintin.Org is brought to you by:

-Craig

emptyslot 03-31-2007 12:10 PM

He is a genious! though i havent seen any movies that i can recall, wich he worked on..

Thanks for posting it for me it was a pleasure seeing this

adam 03-31-2007 12:31 PM

Thanks for sharing!
A great tribute for a great artist!
-Adam

Speculart 03-31-2007 06:33 PM

This fantastic resource should be archived somewhere here. Is it possible to set up some kind of archives of great matte shots, great artists, all that is matte? I think it would be used constantly for inspiration.
Thanks for this fantastic post. I hope people get to see it before it dissapears off line.

Timmay 03-31-2007 07:38 PM

This is awesome!

Just hearing Mel Brooks' reactions was priceless.

And the shot from Blues Brothers was ingenious.

Thank you for posting this.

cstoski 03-31-2007 08:56 PM

Thanks for sharing this Craig! It would be great if the VES could leave this online for all to see.

For those of you who want to see beautiful full color prints of both the original Whitlock paintings and the final composites from the films, check out Craig's book: "The Invisible Art". You can learn a great deal from this book that'll affect your matte paintings immeasurably! I had the pleasure of working on Craig's book and it never siezes to amaze me how the paintings transformed when shot on film. You can see how contrast, exposure shifts, slight defocus and film grain can make a strong painting into a shot that looks absolutly photographic... one of Al Whitlock's many great talents!

miguelslo 04-01-2007 04:05 AM

wow this is awesome, 1 hour to go, i hope it stays online :D happy happy :D

AA 04-01-2007 05:06 AM

Fantastic

Thanks for taking your time to post and share it with many others . . . Fantastic footage ! I was very lucky while working at Illusion Arts a few years back, to see a few of the original paintings of Al Whitlock, even close up they still maintain amazing realism. Also having seen so many great original paintings by Syd Dutton, Stromberg, and others made me appreciate this art form beyond any thought.
Again, thanks for making this available and I hope this will be available on DVD at some point.

matte 07-24-2007 09:49 PM

Very inspiring
Thank you very much

greg lamont 07-24-2007 10:01 PM

thanks for sharing.