PDA

View Full Version : Detail in Camera mapping - Projection

Maryam
08-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Usually, digital matte paintings will be projected on simple 3d models, to support more
freedom in camera movement. By adding 2D planes with 32 bit textures it is possible
to add more details to the final results.

http://www.mattepainting.org/forum/extras/icons/spacerg10.gifhttp://www.mattepainting.org/forum/extras/images/tips/cammap3.jpg

CMerritt
09-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Are there any tutorials about this around?

homer
09-25-2004, 09:02 AM
there is a camera mapping tutorial at:
http://www.mattepainting.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41

Mdalaran
10-01-2004, 06:28 AM
Thats a cool tutorial.... I work with Maya and its the same as any other 3D package... but somehow with camera projection it works differently... does anybody know a Camera Projection tutorial for Maya...?

Greetz,
Mdalaran

anthonyBloor
10-01-2004, 07:21 AM
well its not too dificult to do camera maping in maya, you can use projection mapping and project from the a camera of your choice.

sorry i'm not being very clear, if you have any specific questions i might be able to help

Mdalaran
10-02-2004, 04:35 AM
Hi anthony...

Thanks for your help...

So what I have to do is make a shader with a file texture as a projection. But where in the shader or camera attributes do I say Camera Projection?

Greetz,
Mdalaran

digimatte
10-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Here's a link to a VFXTalk.com thread. If you read about half way down you'll find Russ posting a way to do this in Maya.

I haven't tried it yet, so I can't tell you how it is but I just thought I'd post the link here to see if it helps you out.

http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2724

justin

NickATnitE
10-03-2004, 09:22 PM
I don't know of any tutorials but I can tell you how to do it,

first make an image plane of the pic you want to map.

then line up your geometry you want to map to the image (ie: a house
you want it to be in perspective to the image.)

and then make a new flat shader or constant and in the hypershade add a texture. in the texture attributes set it to projection an pick your camera with the image plane. that tutorial posted has a good way of setting up the scene I would do somthing like that.

then at the end you can bake the textures on to the objects and pump out texture maps for each object based on the projection. If you want to go that far.

hope this helps

Mdalaran
10-04-2004, 04:52 AM
He...

Thank for the link it is very helpful...

Greetz,
Mdalaran

anthonyBloor
10-05-2004, 05:00 AM
wwooops sorry missed this thread, i'm probebly to late to help, but once you set you choose projection before choosing file texture. You then go to the projection tab in the attribute editor up stream (might be downstream) to the file texture. Here you set the projection type to perpective.

Expand the camera projection attributes below and select the camera your projecting from in the link to camera attr select your fit type and fit fill, if you matching with a image plane, you might want to play with these, and your done!

rrische
10-26-2004, 11:46 PM
WOW. Maya hasn't changed....the simplest things are still the hardest
to do! Why is Maya like that???

Muni
10-27-2004, 12:37 AM
dont forget ot change the material filterong to 0(i think), by defult maya "blurs" the image. Changing the filter takes this blur off so your render will be sharper.

kaz
12-31-2004, 05:50 AM
what is the best 3d software for a new user to do camera mapping etc.
what I'm noticing is maya is powerful but complex to learn and as you guys say here the simple thing is the hardest, is lightwave easy to use or 3dstudiomax better?

DMPjedi
03-13-2005, 11:43 AM
There's a cool video tutorial on Per Pixel Camera Mapping in 3ds Max (http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=870) at this discreet site. It shows how fast the render times can be with tons of detail.

Bartosz
10-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey im desperately trying to find info on Camera Mapping in max. The link you posted to the discreet site has nothing on it now :(

I read about Camera "tracking" in the max help file, but what bothers me about both "tracking" and "mapping" is that it says you need to have accurate measurements of the scene your working with - at least 6 "reference points". I know this is not the case, since when you do a matte painting, how the hell are you supposed to know the dimensions?

Anyways, and help with regerds to camera mapping (2D image into 3D scene) and camera tracking (video footage tracked so you can imput other 3d elements into it) in 3ds max would be great. Thanks in advance.

nickhiatt
01-23-2006, 12:06 PM
camera mapping in maya isnt as tricky as it sounds - but there are a few issues i have not worked out - maybe someone here can help out !
just like some threads above, just make a lambert shader - map your image to the incandesence channel, take the color swatch to pure black - ( this will give you a pure diffuse render )
when you pick your file make sure it is set to projection not file : then set your projection type to perspective and pick your projection camera under camera projection attributes - then of course assign that shader to the objects you want to project on and thats it -
however if your using alpha maps you will have to render each piece of geometry out in separate passes because it does preserve the transparency, but not when another object is behind the object with the alpha on it ( this is a bug when using an incandescence material , if anyone knows a fix to this please post it! , ill give an example of what im talking about soon )
the only other draw back is when working for film im not sure the highest resolution that may a cam projection can support - if anyone has any info on this post it!
hope this helps - ill be posting a more detailed tutorial once i finish my current project
cheers
Nick

nickhiatt
01-23-2006, 12:19 PM
btw - i read someone was asking for the best 3d app to use for cam projection --
thats all up to user preference naturally, but here at Imageworks we use Cinema 4d and some custom plug-ins - mostly because cinema 4d supports a very high resolution file while projecting, and this is crucial for film. You can always make your geometry in Maya and export that to another 3d package to do the camera projection. - Mad props to the guys who set this up at Imageworks and who broke me into camera projection!

bcottman
01-23-2006, 03:44 PM
in order to get alphas to work with incandescence I usually multiply the alpha back over the incandescence before projecting it. This gets rid of the semi_transparent areas.

nickhiatt
01-23-2006, 03:54 PM
do you mean you multiply the alpha back over it in the shader? if so can you take a screen grab of the shading network so i can see what your talking about. thanks bro

btw i think i used to work at RH with your briefly on LWW. Is this the same Brenton?

bcottman
01-24-2006, 12:36 AM
hey Nick.
Yeah I think I was there for about a month or so. That was almost a year ago now. Time flies.
How is everything. send me an email.
do you mean you multiply the alpha back over it in the shader?
I actually just do it in photoshop while I am saving out the files for projection, Im sure there is probably an easier way to do it in the shader though.

good to hear from you. keep in touch.