PDA

View Full Version : disaster scenes required

nick f
06-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Hi guys,

I am based in Melbourne Australia, and I am looking for assistance from a matte painter to help on my short film. I have friends who are pretty pro in the compositing or 3D areas, but none are sharp enough on the painting thing. I am trying to create quite apocalyptic scenes of Melbourne, for use in a drama set after an apocalypse, about a couple who lock themselves awway from the outside world in attempt to preserve ttheir own existance as well as their unborn child. Looking for somethig pretty subtle and realistic in nature. Although there are over tones of the future, I am really looking for a more historical look, but kind of set around now... does that make sense? I can exlpain more, please contact me for more info.

I am really stuck at the momentm so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

SOE digital
06-24-2005, 04:59 AM
Nice...good to see some 'local' guys. I'm in Melbourne every month or second month.
Couple of questions:
Payrates?
What kind of actual work are we looking at?
mattes? animated mattes?
etc.

brad
06-24-2005, 09:29 AM
This post might be hlpful for you;
http://www.mattepainting.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438

nick f
06-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Hi again,

Thanks for your replies. The shots I am looking to construct are completely static exteriors which are the only exteriors in the film. They need to very quickly establish the state of the world outside, to quickly place the audience in terms of the struggle that is occuring in the narrative. The premise of the film is that the couple (who are the only cast), cannot go outside and wander freely as the city has descended in to disorder, and to be in the open makes you a target. I'm not wanting smoking cars or anything like that, as the film is set a bit after the real conflict and turmoil. The kind of apocalypse I have been working with is more a slow decaying one, rather than the big one off event. So the world we are creating is actually a very quite and still place.

There will be roughly a dozen shots required, half of which are the intro sequence, and half of which are inserted in the rest of the story. I am wanting to do things like knock out the edges of buildings and composit in some abandoned vehicles. There will be no animation required, as the point of the shots is to show a really dead city. A shell I guess. Thinking about it, I really loved that big shot in the Pianist where Krakow is completely flattened. I know I can't replicate that kind of thing given my financial constraints, but I guess its a good indicator. I was also wondering about taking sections of real disaster scene stills to composit into these mattes. Would that help achieve the consistancy required? I am really anxious that the finished shots look completely photo real (stating the obvious again :wink: ) but in the context of the kind of heavy and dark, emotional drama that is occuring inside the refuge, there is a real possibility of disjuncture between the interiors and exteriors.

Oh yeah, one not so little thing... this is a self funded production, so I don't really have money but as I have no idea what these things cost, perhaps you can let me know a reasonable figure per piece, so I can start to work something out. I don't intend to offend on the financial front, its just that this film has been made stage by stage in terms of finance and post production, all from my own pocket. Its also pretty much the slowest thing I have ever done.

I hope this all makes sense and I greatly appreciate any advice or assistance you can offer. Many thanks, Nick

bellamira
07-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Hello Nick,

I have done this kind of work before, as you have described . Contact me directly if you would like to discuss it ar bellamira@ev1.net. I can forward you examples.

Mark

EdBabb
08-17-2005, 08:28 PM
sounds lieka cool project, would like to help out if i can find the time (right now prepping my showreel, working at a local prduction house part time and trying to produce a PSA for TV all while studying :D) since this sounds like a labour of love. Will return here if that does happen, otherwise good luck in the completion of your film!

Got a working title?