PDA

View Full Version : WETA Searching...

the_gordon
05-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey guys, i don't know if you have seen this or not, but i will post the link anyway.

http://business.mainetoday.com/newsdire ... ml?id=1827 (http://business.mainetoday.com/newsdirect/release.html?id=1827)

A great opportunity!

jsbaxter
05-30-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm fully aware of it..have a friend overthere basically pimping me out for either King Kong or Chronicals of Narnia..I hope to go.

Audrius
05-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah. But I have no idea why should a matte painter send a demo reels on dvd or vhs when his/her work examples are mainly images that could be simply sent over by email? :(
Also you must have at least 3+ yrs of profesional experience to submit to Weta Digital.

jsbaxter
05-31-2005, 12:14 AM
your work is only part of the issue..When I view demo reels I dont just look at the work. I look at the whole thing...like does this Matte painter or cg guy understand how it all goes together. You'd be surprised how many 3d guys are limited in their skills..You say enviornment to them they are thinking of massive 3d ways to create larg enviornments..when they dont realize..it may only need a 2d MP. Same with 2d MP'ers...they dont understand projection maps and composite. Some belive it or not, dont understand tracking. Some of my shots, like my Star Trek : Voyager shot, I can honestly say "I did ALL of that" The 3D , MP, animation, composit. How does that answer your question..well when ever I'm asked..what did you do in that shot, I can say all of it. (instead of just one little portion). That tells the guy who I"m being interviewed by.."hay..not only can he do MP..but he understands a shot pipeline and what is needed"

Now when I look at demos, I like to think if I hire this MP'er, and need him to work with a 3D guy (which has happend), Will this MP'er have to be taught 3d in order to understand what elements are need to render. Sometimes its not just a simple projection, sometimes it is. Ben Proctor, wonderfull artist. We worked on D&D and while this wasnt an oscar winning movie, it did require 3D and mattes, Ben understood 3d as well as MP which made him a valueable person, showed in his demo and he proved it when we hired him. I admit he even showed me a thing or 2 in 3D.

I hope this answers your question why MP should have a demo reel.

plaf
05-31-2005, 03:29 AM
good+informative reply Jamie.

I guess the more technically apt people are always going to be in demand. Gotta have people who can solve problems, make stuff work! :)