PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed city

drutter
03-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been following the forums for awhile now, seen some great and inspiring work and thought I'd post something I've just finished - a partially destroyed city. I'd welcome any comments that can help it turn the corner and enter the majestic land of the photoreal. :shock:

Thanks,

Dan

http://www.rutterdesign.com/aukland.jpg

rapscaLLion
03-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Absolutely stunning! I love it!
The lighting and angle are both perfect, and the destruction is believable... but I think there should be some more contrast between the destroyed area and the rest... I'm not sure how, maybe some smoke plumes... or fire or something, because it takes a moment to register what exactly it is we are seeing.

Something is a little funky with the perspective on each half of the city... it might just be because one side has tall buildings and one has none... maybe placing a tall, partly destroyed building on the destroyed side would give it more balance, and a focal point?

jamesvfx
03-31-2005, 03:38 PM
great image dan, the destroyed buildings look great, but there's something that does not match here, you have a partial sunset over the baclground and a little bit tinted in yellow / orange just as any sunset would be, what I suggest is try to make some color correction so the city match the enviroment, take a look at some of the white buildings , they are so white I think you should tint the white values a little yellow too, and black values are to strong to me as well hope this can help

drutter
03-31-2005, 04:56 PM
I think you're both right. The image was made up of several shots someone took and I collaged them together and tried to correct the perspective when it didn't match. I need to revisit that. I think the valuable thing about posting to this forum is that the second I submitted it I started to regain some of the objectivity towards my matte that I'd lost after working on it over time. I think the far city towards the right horizon also needs to become hazier, yellow and desaturated. The initial image was shot on an overcast day and slightly green. I'd do some more color correction and bring up the blacks. yes.

Thanks for the comments.

Dan