PDA

View Full Version : City Above the Clouds

chriskorn1
04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
This is a personal Painting I'm working on of a futuristic city in space. I wanted to convey the idea that this station started from a central location and is speading outward. Just wanted to get some fresh eyes on it to see where else, if needed, it could possibly go. Thanks

Done with Cinema 4D and Photoshop.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/107/b/5/City_Above_the_Clouds_by_CAK1776.jpg

halen
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
hmm. Inspiring. Instant space city - just add some life. ;-)

How about some different functions and styles for different districts of the city? Industry, power plants or solar panels, greenhouses, domed marketplaces, parks, poor/rich/old/new areas etc? It could give different shapes to buildings in different districts and make it more interesting. Every branch could have their own style so they are not "just another space station branch".

You mentioned that it "started from a central location and is spreading outward" so it didn't just came from some architect's CAD program but instead grew because of some reason. Maybe adding some life and chaos, commercials, hotels, corporations, night clubs, fast food places, something under construction, something already rotting down. "Stupid" or instant building solutions what people (or committees) make...

Connections - something to get that all up there (cables? space elevator?) and somewhere to go from there (spaceport?). Internal connections - I'm not going to travel _all that way_ from one branch tip to another. I'd build something, a bridge or tube or shuttle line... ;-)

.. and I'm not also quite sure about the main direction of light?

chriskorn1
04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Great feedback, exactly what I needed, Thanks.

Noel B
04-19-2009, 01:05 AM
great idea! I think Halen hit the nail on the head even space cities would have that really distinct burrow look.
As for lighting ... key of the planet. You can see shadow length from the clouds and it looks to me that the sun is almost over top (slighty top right of the station). So the shadow you have may not be cast as long and should be alot darker remember in space there is not atmosphere to create ambient haze so shadows tend to be harsh.

antonio
04-21-2009, 02:59 AM
really original idea! I agree about the clouds shadows, it looks like the clouds are not as far away as they should look, but it looks great!