PDA

View Full Version : Light house

kganesh20
01-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Hi frnz
This is my first matte painting. I need your suggestion to improve.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1118/mattepaintingsk9.jpg

lronman
01-26-2009, 10:05 AM
The overal picture is awsome, but the only thing i can advise you is to upload an image of actual painting.

nickmarshallvfx
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Unfortunately this needs an awful lot of work. I think it was probably a bad idea to launch straight into a full matte painting. You need to start with the basics of painting and work from there.
Let me explain. The shadows on the mountain under the sun suggest that the sun is off to the right, as does the lighting on the lighthouse. Yet the sun is clearly in the image behind the mountain. The distant mountains are highly saturated and have a different perspective than the other elements. The mountain on the left is clearly from a different ecosystem than the right mountains (and different again to the distant mountains). Also all the soft mattes used to join the pieces together are clearly evident.

You gave yourself the impossible task of doing a full matte painting as your first task. Do a couple of hundred sketches until you are comfortable with colour and lighting and then you will be in a better position to tackle something like this.

Cheers

Nick