PDA

View Full Version : Aracno

joaco
01-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi everybody. I will apreciate your critics about this picture. It was done entirely in Photoshop cs 4 being my first atempt in the Mattepainting world.

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu347/joacotagle/Aracno-1.jpg

lukedesmith
01-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, now that's not a bad start at all. there are several things I've noticed here. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I'm getting is that you spent the majority of your work time on comping the various tanks, people, smoke, etc. you don't want any animated or "moving" objects in your matte paintings. these things are fine in concept art but need to be hidden or removed from the final matte. placing these things is the compositors job, you can however keep the layers hidden as a reference for the compositor. focus more on painting the landscape.

Alex Jenyon
01-21-2009, 08:43 AM
There are some serious scale issues with this painting. Each of the elements could work in the shot by itself, but they don't relate to each other. The scale of your soldiers on the left (which look about right) are dwarfed by the scale of the soldiers and hummer on the right, which look about 800m tall when compared to the surrounding rock formations. The spider is either 100m or 1km tall, and neither would match the helicopter above it. You see the problem?

Lukedesmith does make a very valid point with regards to the normal matte painting process. However, if you had just posted the desert background by itself, the scale problems may not have been so evident.

I would suggest sorting out the scale issues as a first priority - which I'm afraid probably means starting over. This might sound harsh, but basic scale problems are not something it's really possible to fix 'after the fact'. Then post both the 'clean' background painting, as well as your rough comp to suggest it's intended use.

Good luck - your next attempt will probably be vastly improved.

AJ