PDA

View Full Version : A bit of help needed

HazyWay
01-06-2009, 08:27 AM
hi guys i started this pic the other day and after half an hour of looking at it i can't seem to decide where i want to take it... so i thought i'd post it on here to see if any of you can help me out a bit,
the only thing i know i want to do is keep the clean blue colours
thanks in advance
Andrew :)

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq343/HazyWay/waterbridgesWIP.jpg

Alex Jenyon
01-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Here's some things to think about if you're getting stuck...

1. Sort out your perspective. The city will have the same horizon as the ground, unless it's held at an angle, which I don't think is the intention. We'll see a lot more of the underside of the city, rather than the side.

2. Sort out your lighting. A very bright scene with the sun centre frame will backlight everything quite heavily - almost everything will be in deep silhouette. There will be a huge reflection from the sun on the reflective ground surface, and your giant figure would be strongly rim-lit. There would be shadows and reflections of various kinds to add too.

3. Get some reference - anatomy (for your giant), architecture (for your city), and seascapes, for the ground. There will be a lot of detail, flare, haze and other atmospheric effects that you need to add, and the real-life reference will inform this.

Then, if you are happy, and want to push it a bit -

4. Choose a more interesting camera angle - looking up at your giant, looking down from the city, looking over it's shoulder... etc.

5. Choose a more interesting colour palette - it's going to be MOSTLY blue, but not ALL blue.

6. Add something that gives us a sense of scale - people, a ship, a tree. We haven't got anything to judge your giant against, so we don't know how big it is.

7. ....make it look real. ;-)

Hope that helps.

AJ

metalrahul
01-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Nice tips Alex :)

nickmarshallvfx
01-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Yea thats some awesome critique there, nothing to add to it at this stage.

Nick

HazyWay
01-07-2009, 05:50 AM
thanks for the help alex most appreciated :), my 1st rough didn't have the giant and the pic looked a bit bland with just the city where the lines met,
your tips on the perspective of the city will help a lot, i think i'll keep it at this angle mainly because i like the way the water lines go,
the city i'll paint in a off white colour with splashes of reds and oranges to brake up the image a bit i'll probaly also yellow up the sun as i think the plain white is a bit stark
thanks again for your help i'll post a update in the next few days

HazyWay
01-13-2009, 09:35 AM
heres the 1st update to the pic
it needs lots of work but would be nice to know if i'm heading in the right direction
the waters edges needs some kind of railing or raised area but so far i've found nothing that i'm happy with

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq343/HazyWay/waterbridgesWIP3.jpg

nickmarshallvfx
01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Hazyway - This might seem like a bit of a lazy way to approach it, and im not suggesting in any way that you shouldnt study perspective until you know it inside out, but have you considered trying to build this in 3d? That would very quickly highlight any mistakes in your own perspective and give you a good base to work on.
Just a thought, as with something very geometric like this, it seems like the perfect fit for a 3d mock-up. Unless of course you really want to do it manually, in which case ill commend the effort and say keep going! Get this a bit further and it will be easier to give constructive critique. At the moment its still quite hard to see what direction you are wanting to go with this.

Cheers!

Nick

HazyWay
01-14-2009, 06:40 AM
thanks for advice space i've not got a full 3d program just photoshop CS4 but it has basic 3d so i think i'd be able to make it work, perspective is not my strong point and something i need to work alot on, will hopefuly have a fuller update soon
cheers again

Alex Jenyon
01-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Google SketchUP would be perfect for this kind of thing - and it's totally free.

www.sketchup.com

HazyWay
01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
thanks alex ..i'm dwonlaoding it now