PDA

View Full Version : Rome Coliseum

egan
12-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Hello, This is a matte painting I have been working on for some time. Much of this piece has been referenced from internet sources. I don't think this is quite there yet. Any comments and critiques are very welcome.

http://www.richardegan.com/images/zromecoliseum.jpg

poje9
12-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I love it all except for the sky. Its way too yellow, almost a neon yellow in places. It seems very unnatural to me. The yellow tones work on the buildings and such, but it's way too saturated for a sky.

Other than that I think it looks fantastic! Good work.

Lisa

kaustavsinha
12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Egan,
Nice work! But, yes, I think that U can reduce the saturation of the yellow sky color a bit! I feel that U could brighten-up the temple of Artemis monument, which is near the coliseum! The BG mountains on the extreme right hand side does not blend with the sky properly, & looks a bit sharp! U could blend it more, with maybe the addition of some fog! These are just my personal opinions! Other than these, I think that you have done a great job!

egan
12-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks for your input guys. I changed the sky to a more red tone which should still fit in with the buildings.

http://www.richardegan.com/images/xromecoliseum.jpg

The main aim of this piece is to focus on the Coliseum and not so much the forum where the other buildings are situated. Do people think that this piece focuses on the coliseum or does it seem like a landscape image of ruins in general? Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated.

poje9
12-28-2008, 12:36 PM
I still think the sky is way too saturated. Right now that is what I focus on when I look at it. Look at the tone of your mountains in the background, the sky yellows and reds should match that muted tone.

Hope this helps,
Lisa

nickmarshallvfx
12-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Yes the sky should definitely be a lot less saturated. More an overcast white / grey to match the naturalistic look of the buildings.

Nick