PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Street and some buildings

Ulrik_fC
12-16-2008, 10:23 AM
hey there,

that is my first post and my first try to do a matte painting.

Would love to hear your oppinion. thanks a lot !

Take care everyone :)

http://www.flatcoin.com/temp/matte_painting_01.jpg

poje9
12-16-2008, 10:17 PM
It's looking really nice. I like the building extension of the building on the right. Color corretion looks good too. The only thing I would say is that the buildings in the background seem a little soft. Also the fog/clouds look nice, but I would think that it would be in the foreground as well.

One more thing, on the building on the left your whites became really blown out. It's the biggest and brightest thing in the composition so thats all I look at...

Hope this helps
Lisa

Ulrik_fC
12-21-2008, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the reply Lisa! Here is an updated version:

http://www.flatcoin.com/temp/matte_painting_01_v02.jpg

Right now I didnt add any fog in the foreground, but this will be the next thing on my list.

What changed:
- added a neon sign and replaced the sky gradient with a "real" sky
- erased the cars on the left
- adjust some little things on the buildings

take care everybody !
Ulrik

kaustavsinha
12-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Ulrik_fC,
It's a good 1st attempt at the art of Digital Matte-Painting! I liked the 2nd picture the most! The building extension on the left hand side was done very nicely! The removal of the two cars on the left hand side was a good decision to make! The addition of smokes looks good too! But, I do not like the way how you extended the building on the right hand side! You did extended the building, but did not removed the branches of the small plant! I guess, you did not used the clone stamp tool correctly! Other than these, it looks good to me for a 1st attempt! Looking forward to more updates on this one!

Ulrik_fC
12-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the help! You are right the building on the right looked horrible.

Here an updated version:

http://www.flatcoin.com/temp/matte_painting_01_v03.jpg

what I changed:
- added two more layers of buildings in the background
- some more smoke, this time on the right side of the street
- changed the neon sign a little bit
- added another sign on top of the big almost white building

btw: this is really my first matte painting, but I am used to Photoshop for several years now .. and got some experience with visual fx .. so please dont take it as example for "first matte painting without any knowlegde".

take care everybody :)
Ulrik

kaustavsinha
12-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the help! You are right the building on the right looked horrible.

Here an updated version:

http://www.flatcoin.com/temp/matte_painting_01_v03.jpg

what I changed:
- added two more layers of buildings in the background
- some more smoke, this time on the right side of the street
- changed the neon sign a little bit
- added another sign on top of the big almost white building

btw: this is really my first matte painting, but I am used to Photoshop for several years now .. and got some experience with visual fx .. so please dont take it as example for "first matte painting without any knowlegde".

take care everybody :)
Ulrik

Hi Ulrik_fC,
Thanks for updating the image! I like the sign on top of the big almost white building! Though I'm not in favor of your addition of two more layers of buildings in the background! It looks a bit out of perspective! Though I'm not that proficient when it comes to perspective, but I feel that they look somewhat odd, & I liked the previous versions more, without those buildings! The addition of some more smoke on the right side of the street looks nice! I'm not quite sure about the neon glow though! I guess it's day-time, so I do not think there's any need for the glowing sign! You can definitely add some elements, like a tree etc in the extreme bottom left hand side, where there was a car earlier! It looks so vacuum to me! And about the building on the right hand side, it looks much better now, though you still need to work lot more on it, in order to make it look perfect! These are just my personal opinions! I'll wait eagerly for more updates on this!