PDA

View Full Version : Mountains of Madness 2

lukedesmith
12-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I need help getting this painting right. I like the overall design and flow of the piece but it lacks the realism a matte painting needs. Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Don't hold back, I need to get this one perfect.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/lukedesmith/MountainsofMaddness_v4copy.jpg

poje9
12-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Interesting concept. The perspective on the buildings in the back seem off from those in the foreground. Also push the tonal range, right now its very flat. The colors in the foreground are just as washed out as those in the background. I really like this concept and I cant wait to see it more refined!

lukedesmith
12-13-2008, 11:46 AM
thanx, thats a huge help. I'll get right on it.

lukedesmith
12-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I've adjusted the tonal range on several of the layers to try to give the image more depth, but I'm at a loss on the perspective issue. the foreground elements should appear to be at a slightly higher elevation than the lower buildings in the midground (if that even makes sense) or about halfway up one of the towering city structures. Any suggestions?
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/lukedesmith/MountainsofMaddness_v5copy.jpg

kuroe702
12-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi, I really like the form and the unique structure of the rock and buildings, I think this is very interesting concept! good job.

I am however, a little bit confuse about the scale, I think you might able to get away with it since they don't have to make much sense, but I personally don't know where to reference my scale from. The left side ruin looks farther in distance as they are relatively smaller then the structure on the right. But the position and the level of contrast suggest me that they are at the same distance.

and if you wish to let the viewer think the interesting structure in the middle is far away from the two front structures, maybe add some haze to enhance the distance and atmospheric perspective.

lastly, I think the front two structures are too equally spaced and positioned, if the right structure is closer then the left one, then maybe raise it a bit and even have some rock overlap the left structure to create more depth. I feel that you want to show to many things in this scene.

Those are my personal opinion, hope they help. Good luck with it and I believe it will turn out really good!