PDA

View Full Version : Desert City - Street

Tholleyman
12-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi,

This is a work in progress on the latest shot I've been working on. The aim was to create a 2.5D painting with projected textures in Maya.
I've build basic geometry which I then used as the basis for the painting. That's then being projected back and rendered out with mental ray. I have a huge list of things to fix. Some of the textures aren't sitting in the right place yet, I want to sort this out by re-painting but also using alpha channels. However I can't get them to work in Mental ray - despite clicking the alpha button on the render globals! I will also use alpha channels to create separate planes in order to bring the gravel and goat away from the wall - as well as to put some other bits and pieces around to stop it looking bare!
I need to stop the sharp lines where the geometry planes meet - mainly on the floor. Not sure how to do that, I was just going to sneak some planes in front with a painted texture and alpha out the edges - not sure if that would work.
All the cloth will be created with ncloth and animated - at the moment it just kills my laptop every time I try to render so will have to look into that a bit further.
I need to figure out how to create realistic dust that animates to help with the atmosphere - not sure if paint effects, particles or post will be best.
All the bits that I've painted onto this rough will be replaced and I need to work into the background elements to get the whole to fit. I also think I will have to paint some extensions to get the camera move to work as at the moment what you see here is all that exists.
Lastly I need to rebuild the arches and find some good textures to paint onto them.
All in all lots to do, but I would really appreciate it if people could point out anything else I'm missing or perhaps any suggestions for the tech stuff would really help!
Also I realize that this shot is probably not that realistic in terms of a real job brief - I would think that most could be created with a set or on location - I'm also not sure how much of the effects I would need to do as a matte painter (maybe one of the pro's could advice on that?) but I wanted to learn as much as I could and also understand the requirements for my work further down the pipeline eg. where's it coming from and going. One of the best things I learnt working in games was making sure that the next guy to pick up your work had everything in the right place and didn't have to waste time fixing things - an angry programmer is a scary thing!

Thanks

Tim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/timmyhol/Street-Scence_Final_Render_Web.jpg

nickmarshallvfx
12-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Ive got a bit of a soft spot for the sketch u did for this, so im looking forward to seeing it develop! Just make sure you dont leave things too clean. I want to see stained, chipped, cracked walls, and bit of rubble all over!
Look forward to seeing how this turns out, keep us updated!!

Nick

Tholleyman
12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Here's an update. Dust needs to go in still - finding it tricky creating some that will animate, I think I'm going to us Maya fluids and will just composite it in afterwards. Also textures need adding to the wood lying around in the foreground, I think the shapes need some variation too - same with the cloth (too many hard edges). The bridge arches also need some work. Finally the camera move needs to be rendered out....so nearly there!
If anyone can add anything I would really appreciate it, I'd like to finish this in the next few days so any input would be great!

Thanks

Tim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/timmyhol/City_render_for_web.jpg

poje9
12-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Looking good! I'd like to see some of the cloth torn and tattered. Looks nice though. It will be neat to see when its finished with the animated dust!

Tholleyman
12-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Here's todays update. The birds are in and moving thanks to the CD on the cover of 3D world magazine. The dust is there and should be moving and I've redone some of the textures on the bridge. The next stage is to refine the camera move, all the dynamics on the cloth is killing my mac so its taking more time than I hoped. I might work some more into the cloth texture, the alpha channel has loads of texture in it, but it doesn't seem to come out in this render.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/timmyhol/Render_12DecWeb.jpg

moakley
12-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Really, really good mate :) The lighting and staging is spot on :)

souloartist
12-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Looking very good so far......the only thing that i would suggest is the animation of the sand. Is it blowing from left to right? If so, I notice there is no light source there , it is a large shadow ,indicating no openings between buildings.....sand usually swirls in inclosed areas....the sand looks like it is blowing in a hard straight line of action....all in all...the scene is great....particle animation is very tricky....i will show you some tutorials on it next week if your working with maya...if you wish for it

metalrahul
12-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Great work man.. it would be great if you could give it the feel of Assassin Creed.

Tholleyman
12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi,

Here's a render of the camera move. There are a couple of weird things going on with the textures, the spire on the dome seems to go in and out of focus and the texture slips on the far building. A bit strange given they are projected from the same camera as the rest of the scene?! Also there a flicker on the bridge. The camera move will be extended on the next pass to include the right foreground elements of the original painting.

souloartist: Any advice regarding the dust would be greatly appreciated. At the moment its a bit of a bodge as I didn't know how to get the results I wanted with the particles so I used the fog fluid effect - although thats still not quite right. Everything is done in Maya. I've tried to reduce the render times and weight of the scene as I'm working on a laptop and its really struggling! At the moment it takes 4mins to render each frame at half res.

to watch the video please click here (http://www.vimeo.com/2603996)