PDA

View Full Version : Opulence 1 - WIP

ReX357
11-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Comments? Suggestions?

http://www.berubegraphics.com/mattepainting/OpulenceWIP.jpg

ReX357
11-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Oh and I have a question too. I would like to animate this picture at some point. I wanna animate the fountain and the 'atmospheric mist'. What would be my best bet? This is gonna be part of a flash at some point so I wonder if I should use After Effects and make a video OR animate everything in flash (I'm pretty sure it's gonna end up looking crappy if I do that tho)

Anybody's got experience animating their mattes for the web?

P.Money
11-30-2008, 02:31 AM
Hey bro.. I love it man, it just represents so much for me :) don't have anything to say about it man, the shadows, the moon glow, the vegetation its just perfect.. keep at it!

ReX357
12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
200 views and nobody as anything to say about it? Tell me if it sucks at least!

I would really like comments on lighting and shadows and composition if somebody cares.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Bérubé

P.S.: Thanks for the kind words bro

egan
12-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Its a good image and very unique. I'm not sure if some of the elements fit into the scene. Mainly I think this might be a lighting issue. Firstly I think that the fountain should be back lit as that is where the moon and two distant lights are coming from (the car lights are shining away from the fountain). The nearest villa/ garage is too low in contrast giving it a misty look that separates it from the floor. The distant villa is looking good but there seems to be a glow around it and the roof is too sharp.

Unfortunately I only work in Photoshop and don't touch animation programs so I can't help with that. Good luck with the animation.

moakley
12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Evening!
I love the composition and the setting. Everything's pretty spot on. What I would say though is it lacks a night time feel and that's because your lighting isn't unified enough. In my quick sketch below I also diffused the headlights (as it's a tropic environment at night it would be pretty foggy). I've also dropped down the brightness of the grill on the car (it, potentially could be darker)

http://e.imagehost.org/0469/opulent_example.jpg

ReX357
12-16-2008, 08:24 AM
So I took some comments into consideration and some were pretty contradictory (I posted this work here and on CGTalk).

I got an answer over at CGTalk criticizing wrong exposure and lighting as well as car perspective. I tried to work around with the car to make it match the perspective as well as change the lights on the house to a yellowish (tungsten like) color.

So here's the new version:

http://www.berubegraphics.com/mattepainting/Opulence(2)tu.jpg

moakley
12-17-2008, 06:01 AM
Hey Jeff

I think you really need to think more about where the light will lay. If you need certain elements to stand out then I'd suggest adding some more lights into the scene and light it more naturally. I still believe your colours are still too vibrant and work better when they are cooler and more desaturated.

I'm not sure if you wish for the headlights to be on or off. If they are on they'd be far brighter and the grill on the front of the car would be lost in this brightness to the point of them being blacked out. If they're off, they'd be far darker.

thanks

Mike

souloartist
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Your composition is nice but there is some issues with light source. I agree with alot of the comments. I am a 3d artist and have learned that lighting is the most important part because it gives the audience a sense of feeling. When i was in college i learned that light casting on vehicles should pick up the surroundings of the environment. Your winshield is picking up light and reflections from the wrong angle....looks like the light is directly above the windshield....the grill is too bright....same reason,,,,,if that light or moon is casting light above then it would make sense.....fog usually dulls and scatters light......you have two sources of light...moon and house light.....they should be casting different shadows. the right side of the car should have no brightness..the fountain i suggest maybe put lights in the water really see the water reflections and animate in after effects is best if your not familiar with animation. Maybe turn the right wheel to give a sense of it turning. Keep up the good work...it will get there.....