PDA

View Full Version : new matte painting, please give suggestion and comment =)

kuroe702
11-27-2008, 12:26 AM
hi guys, this is my first pose and my first matte paiting, please give suggestion and let me know how I do

I spend hours and hours to do this, hopefully it turns out well

http://fc25.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/331/a/b/night_scene_matte_painting_by_kuroe702.jpg

and the original photo I start off with:

http://www.ttyi.net/images/city_photo.jpg

thanks guys!

Rafael
11-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Hello! Idea is good, I would check the perspective (bridge), lighting (left tower) and maybe put the image in a normal position

kuroe702
11-27-2008, 08:48 PM
yeah..... I might do that, was thinking tilt the image a bit will be more dynamic,
also cuz I use a tilted photo source too...
but guess that makes it looks weir :p

ReX357
11-27-2008, 10:25 PM
I like the angle personally. Gives character to the project if you ask me.

Critic:

What Raph said plus fix the water ( I assume it's water anyways. In front of the park bench ) It doesn't look very good right now

kuroe702
11-27-2008, 10:39 PM
hi, by the bridge you guys mean the one on the way back? maybe tilt it a bit backward so it looks more natrual?
thank you guys a lot for the help

ReX357
11-28-2008, 05:13 AM
No like right in front of us I mean. Like in front of those three lampposts. You can see their reflection in it. I think it should be darker overall except for the highlights.

Take this image for example:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/1b/cd/12/city-pond-night.jpg

Everything except the relection of the light is much darker.

kuroe702
11-28-2008, 05:57 AM
got it, I'll get it fix! thanks for the great suggestions!

graphmac
11-28-2008, 07:09 AM
The light on the right hand side is casting light in all directions, even up and over the tiles through material.
It should be casting some shadow above itself as it has a metal top.
This jumped out at me first, as if its glow you wanted it is overdone as the contrast is too high.

The image is very good tho.

kuroe702
11-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Hi, I did some fix on the water, using photoshop's displacement effect
should looks better now, I also fix the lighting of the left tower, darken it alittle bit and add just a tiny bit of warm light from right.
also fix the light on the right, so it looks more natrual instead of like a glow

http://fc94.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/333/8/6/night_scene_matte_painting_by_kuroe702.jpg

kaustavsinha
11-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi Kuroe702,
I like UR matte very much! d tilted view of d building gives a dynamic look 2 d matte-painting! d addition of d mountains in d BG is very nicely blended! I like d day 2 night transformation very much! I like d fix tht U did on d water, though I feel tht d density of d water looks a bit higher than it should b, I guess! Also, try 2 reduce d opacity of d light of d street lamps! These were my personal opinions; pardon me if it hurts U in anyway! Otherwise, I think U hav done an excellent job!

Alex Jenyon
11-28-2008, 10:55 AM
You've still got some basic perspective issues to fix before you do the final 'polish', and your image is looking rather soft and muddy in places.

One that particularly stands out is the texture of the stone surface by the water. It has a completely different vanishing point and horizon line to everything else. If the floor is perpendicular to your canal (which is what it looks like) then it should share the same vanishing point. (I can probably do a paintover if you don't know what this means)

Take a look (a close look) at the reference that Rex posted, and let that guide you. Lights only have haloes round them when there is haze or mist in the air - and (like the ref) cast very bright reflections if they are near water.

The lamp-posts also look like straight clones of each other - there would be some parallax shift as the posts move away from us.

Hope that helps you.

AJ

P.S. @kaustavsinha: What on earth is up with your keyboard? I've never seen someone use 'd' instead of 'the' before. It's only another two letters!

kuroe702
11-29-2008, 08:57 AM
hey Alex

yes the stone texture makes sense (how could I be so stupid and make that dumb mistake ><" still have a lot to learn...

"The lamp-posts also look like straight clones of each other - there would be some parallax shift as the posts move away from us."
are you talkng about the one that's far away? also, I think it's safe to say that I'll remove the halo for the 3 lamppost on the front?

Thanks so much for all of your help, this is my first one so I make a lot of beginner's mistake (I think I also choose too big of a scene to play with)

DNegrete
11-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Wow, this looks really good. The changes you made look great. Couple of thoughts on your light sources. The glow around the lamp heads is a bit much for the atmosphere you've established. Maybe try toning those down a lot, or just eliminate them and let the surfaces around the lamps tell the viewer how bright the source is. You could add the glow to the MG lamps by the bridge though, there would be more atmosphere on that area. This could give the viewer a stronger path to the BG mountains. When I look at this painting my eye starts at the lower right where you have the brightest and darkest colors, then I go to lamps and my eye keeps going to the left off the painting.

Really good first run on a matte though very ambitious shot.
D

kuroe702
12-03-2008, 08:31 PM
thanks guys for the feed back and suggestions, this is my first post here and I have to say this is a great first experience.

I am going to try to make this peice as better as I can,
I recently got vue6 and learning to use it, maybe I'll try to use vue with this painting and see how it turns out! again thanks for all the helps!

poje9
12-03-2008, 10:22 PM
I really like the green tone to the sky as opposed to what you had originally. It looks much more natural for a night sky than that ultramarine blue. The water also looks so much better. Good job!!

sdinozzi
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Hey Kuroe,

2 major problems going on. You gotta make the lights being emitted from the street lights more complex. It's unrealistic the look they have no with just a circle.

For instance: http://photoclub.canadiangeographic.ca/photos/night_photos/images/22764/250x375.aspx

Also there is a scale issue going on. The added structure on the left is not fitting because it looks like a tower with windows? but yet its like a 1/5th of the size of the original castle/house structure to the right.. same with the trees.

I would address these crits and look deeper at the painting :)

GJ so far. I think this has potential with some improvement.

-Steve

kuroe702
12-06-2008, 10:35 AM
thanks guys
hm...
how about just get rid of the left tower?
so is the tree too small to you guys? should I make it bigger?

kuroe702
12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Dearl all

thank you for all the great suggestions and directions. I'll work on it somemore and post up a new thread for this in the future. Thanks you all!!