PDA

View Full Version : First Post! The Future City

zbush
11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
hello! my name is zach bush and i am brand new to this form but i am hoping to learn some new tricks and ideas of how to become a better matte painter. my dream is to become a professional in a few years (4+). Well here is a piece i just finished up a little bit ago. feedback/critique would be great! i have to move quite fast with these because i am graduating from college in a few weeks and i have to do quite a few of these before then for class. so more will be on the way!

http://www.radford.edu/zbush/city7.jpg

ReX357
11-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Perspective is screwed. Make your perspective grid and make sure you follow it. Some of the buildings seem like they're right in the bridge. Something is wrong with scale and colour to define depth.

Alex Jenyon
11-26-2008, 03:34 AM
It's a good call by Rex on the perspective - don't just jump right in - plan it all out first.

Work on getting a defined light source as well - you'd get the kind of overall diffuse lighting you've painted from a grey overcast sky. However, your bright white buildings and blue sky suggest that it's a bright sunny day. Make sure your shadows match - some are sharp, some are very, very soft.

I can also spot that you've used bits of buildings from the City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia. It IS a very futuristic looking location, but it's also VERY recognisable. Try to be a bit more subtle with your source material.

Hope that helps

AJ

zbush
11-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks a lot to you guys for your quick reply! I agree with you, and I will definitely work on those things.