PDA

View Full Version : Crude River - WIP

ReX357
11-12-2008, 05:17 PM
First digital painting. What do you think?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/beathoven/desertrig3.jpg

homer
11-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Too busy for me.
It might be better to simplify the details and double check the perspective lines....

ReX357
11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Too busy for me.
It might be better to simplify the details and double check the perspective lines....

What do you mean by simplify the details? I know it's kinda busy in there, lots of pumpjacks but I was trying to show how busy an oilfield can get (I actually work in the oilfield and that kind of stuff is not uncommon around here except there's no tar rivers lol )

And the perspective lines I was not a hundred percent sure about what I was doing. I made the grid but I didn't know how much of an angle I should of put when I put the perspective effect on my lines. Could someone teach me the right technique for that?

Thanks for your reply Homer.

homer
11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Although you can justify the width of the river any way you want to imagine,
But my eye is used to see the river to gradually go to perspective.
In this picture it looks like it gets so narrow and then go upward… (and it makes it hard to read the scale and depth)
Consider this as my personal taste.

Also with a stormy sky or overcast sky I do not expect to see high contrast shadow and highlights like the one you have on the mountain.

But your sense of composition is good.

ReX357
11-14-2008, 03:26 AM
OK I see what you mean with the river. It does make sense. I'll work on that.

I'll try to bring down the contrast on the hills too.

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated!

moakley
11-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Hi !

I'm liking the composition and the detailing is good. What I think the picture is suffering from a little bit is atmospherics (I seem to say that a lot of this forum!)

Here's a quick update I put together for you. It's messy but it should give you some idea. I've also adjust the colouration overall (just by using colour balance). The sky colour is always reflected to the floor, so to unify the 2 elements, make sure they match tonally.

I'd also take a look at the rocks to the right of the oil pool. They seem to light. A good tip is when you place an object/element into a scene ask yourself how will the other elements around it effect it. That can be physically or tonally.

http://d.imagehost.org/0355/update.jpg

nickmarshallvfx
11-14-2008, 09:08 AM
yea the contrast on the hills definitely needs taking down. As a rule, never go completely black, and keep the darkest areas in the foreground.

The scale seems a little jarring in this piece to me. I imagine the rocks around the tar pit to be maybe a foot tall? And yet when i look to the left at the oil pump, it has a ladder that really contradicts that scale.

Figure out the scale of the scene, and make sure everything corresponds to that.

Nick

ReX357
11-14-2008, 07:54 PM
yea the contrast on the hills definitely needs taking down. As a rule, never go completely black, and keep the darkest areas in the foreground.

The scale seems a little jarring in this piece to me. I imagine the rocks around the tar pit to be maybe a foot tall? And yet when i look to the left at the oil pump, it has a ladder that really contradicts that scale.

Figure out the scale of the scene, and make sure everything corresponds to that.

Nick

That's true too! Wow! I knew some things felt a bit odd but I couldn't point them out! Thanks a million guys! I'll rework it and post an update soon.

ReX357
11-15-2008, 12:18 PM
OK I tried to work on what you guys suggested. Here's what I got right now. I need more suggestions :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/beathoven/desertrig4.jpg

moakley
11-15-2008, 04:27 PM
This is heaps better mate. You have to double take now to see that it's not real. Really good job :)

nickmarshallvfx
11-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes, this does look a whole load better!
My only suggestion now would be to make the oil river less straight. Give it harder turns as it stretches away, and have it get much smaller in the distance again to help the scale and depth.
Looks lots better already, congrats!

For your next matte, i would love to see you tackle something a little less dramatic in terms of lighting. Try doing a set extension or something and matching more 'ordinary' lighting.

Keep it up!

Nick

ReX357
11-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the comments. When I made the river I tried to make it follow the "natural dips" in the photographic element I used. I appreciate the suggestion but I think I'm gonna leave it as it is.

I already have an idea for my next matte, altho the lighting's gonna be pretty dramatic :P

I am not really doing "matte painting" per se. I do not plan on working on movies or anything. My goal is more towards "digital illustration". I am primarly a web / graphic designer and I mainly want matte painting to be part of my tool box to create visually impressive websites and graphics. I find this to be a great way to learn about lighting and shadows as well as tone and color balance.

Thanks for all your comments guys. I have posted the final version in the artist showcas forum.