PDA

View Full Version : concept paintings for Desert City

Tholleyman
11-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the comments on the last piece. I'm going to work some more elements into it as suggested and will re-post when I'm done.
Here is the early concept stages showing the work for my next piece. I want to try a different environment, something with a middle-eastern feel. Here are the thumbnails and the colour concept sketches for a couple of the ideas. I think at the moment I'm going to go with the wide angle shot. I might do both, as I need to practice some street level work, but at the moment the wide angle has more appealing atmosphere. I didn't post these in sketches as the matte will be directly worked up from this work, hope thats ok. Any thoughts or crits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/timmyhol/Concept-Process-WEB.jpg

moakley
11-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Oh WOW! These are fantastic mate! :) Really confident pieces of work and great staging and atmosphere :) Can't wait to see where you go with them :)

nickmarshallvfx
11-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I agree with Moakley, the sketches look great, it'll be interesting to see where you go with them.

Personally, the streey level shot holds more appeal to me than the wide angle shot, because the wide angle shot seems like something ive seen quite a lot before, in fact there was one posted here recently that was very similar.
The street shot looks much more fresh, and really nice architecture. Just be sure to add in bits of street clutter to help sell it as a real scene, coz at the moment the ground area feels a little sterile considering the ancient look of the buildings. The background buildings feel a little too 'modern skyscraper' as well, so it might be good to try something else there that fits in with the foreground a little more.

All in all, really nice work so far, look forward to seeing where you go with it :)

Nick

Tholleyman
11-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the comments! I've made a couple of changes based on feedback I've had. I've added the light rays in the first image to draw the viewer into the background a little more. On the second shot I have changed the background elements and added more bits and pieces in the streets. I'm going to make both images into matte paintings - Nick, I agree with you that the wide shot has been done in various forms many times before, however I've never created a shot like this yet and I really want to learn. The image was inspired by the Dusso Gnomon DVD. He has a great birds eye view of a city and I wanted to do a similar image. Both will have their seperate challenges when creating the final images and I hope to get a lot out of the process. I've also been thinking about a 2.5 matte. I've not got any experience at modeling, but I believe that the models not have to be too complicated. I'm waiting for the new Ballistic book to arrive and hope that has lots of info in it!
Thanks again for the comments. Hopefully I'll have some updates in a few days time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/timmyhol/Desert-City-Shot-2-adjusted.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/timmyhol/Desert-City-adjusted.jpg

homer
11-13-2008, 09:55 AM
They are looking great and in the right direction.
In the first one I would extend the highlights on the ground more to the left.
This will create more dramatic effect playing with the shadows in the left side.
Also keep the left building completely in the shadow of the tall building.(no highlight)