PDA

View Full Version : The Rainforest Discovery ...

moakley
11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi all!
Here's a matte painting I've been working on for the past week. It's not quite finished yet, but it's getting to a stage now where I could do with some critiques/suggestions. I've yet to add some internal detailing to the ship and have some kind of a hatch going on. I've also got to improve the foliage surrounding the environment.

So here's the image and I hope to hear some feedback soon :)

all the best!

Mike

http://d.imagehost.org/0602/Swamp_Dish_003.jpg

homer
11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
I like the mood and thick atmospheres
How about adjusting the highlights on the character and his disc to bounce the hard light coming from right.
In other word, bump up the highlights on the left side.

I would also add sharp and define leaves in the foreground.

Overall it's a good picture.

Velarion
11-05-2008, 07:17 PM
the background trees looks a bit low res, if I were you I'd replace them with better ones. But looks great anyway. The idea is cool, and the UFO looks really nice.

moakley
11-06-2008, 01:05 AM
hi!
Yep I completely agree with both of your guys points :) I'll take a look at those things next :)

Thanks for your feedback :)

Mike

moakley
11-06-2008, 07:05 AM
I've updated the image above :) I'm still refining it, but I'll probably post an update everyday now until it's complete :)

Tholleyman
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi Mike,

This is really coming on. I think the palette is working a lot better now and its got a great atmosphere. I think at the moment the vines seem to have a bit too much noise on them and could do with more separation from the background - maybe some tonal variation between the space ship and foreground elements might also help. To my eye the highlight on the back of the tree seems to flatten it out a bit. These are small points though really and as your updating you have probably changed things already. Its looking like its going to be a really strong piece. I look forward to the update.

All the best

Tim

moakley
11-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the nice comments and constructive criticism :)I completely agree with what you have said and I've taken on board what you have said and have made the necessary alterations :) (I've updated the image above again).

I need to tackle the area around the top of the vines next (and start adding some colour highlights here and there (red lights on the spaceship possibly?)

thanks again!

Mike

Tholleyman
11-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Its looking great! The ships looking really good. I like the light on the inner rim - can't remember if that was there before, but its helping the shape of the ship. Nice one