PDA

View Full Version : Air Palace by Kaustav Sinha

kaustavsinha
10-11-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi Everyone,
This is Kaustav Sinha from Kolkata, India. Here's my new Matte-Painting, titled "Air Palace".
http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=airpalacekaustavsinhahw5.jpg
Created using Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended and Terragen. Hope you'll like it! Comments & critiques are heartily welcome!
Thanking You,
Yours faithfully,
Kaustav Sinha
(An Aspiring Digital Matte-Painter)

nickmarshallvfx
10-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi Kaustav
Glad you moved this here, i think there are a few thigns you can do to help this image. Firstly, the lighting doesnt match the bright moonlight. This lighting situation should produce a very contrasty image, and the planes facing us would be cast into shadow. This is particularly apparent in the foreground trees where you would expect some strong rimlight and most of the trees to be in shadow, but yours appear fairly wel lit, still too much like daytime lighting. The birds also appear to be giving off light, was that intentional?
There are still visible matte artifacts on the trees too, they need cleaning up.

Good luck, hope you update this one!

Nick

kaustavsinha
10-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi Kaustav
Glad you moved this here, i think there are a few thigns you can do to help this image. Firstly, the lighting doesnt match the bright moonlight. This lighting situation should produce a very contrasty image, and the planes facing us would be cast into shadow. This is particularly apparent in the foreground trees where you would expect some strong rimlight and most of the trees to be in shadow, but yours appear fairly wel lit, still too much like daytime lighting. The birds also appear to be giving off light, was that intentional?
There are still visible matte artifacts on the trees too, they need cleaning up.

Nick

Hi Nick,
Thank you very much for commenting on my work! I'm not that technically correct in terms of lighting & shadows, 'coz I have not learned in details the theory that is required to be studied about these topics! I know that lighting & shadows have a very very important place in making a matte-painting a perfect looking one; that's why I'm currently studying various tutorials available on the net to rectify this problem of mine! As you said about the foreground tree lighting, which acc to you should have been cast into shadow, I totally 100% agree with you; while I was creating the trees on the foreground, I did not paid attention to the lighting, but more in actually placing them in the correct spot! Now,I'll surely rectify that in the coming days! And regarding "rimlight"; could you please define this term? I know it's a silly question to ask to a experienced pro like you, but.... Can I refer to this wikipedia article for this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting .I guess it's like an outline of light on an object, that comes from behind the object, here on the trees; am I correct? Sir, the lighting of birds was partially intentional, since the moon & the air-palace were lighted! I thought, additionally the birds would also lead the viewers eye-sight towards the air-palace, the focal-point of the painting, if I make them (birds) brighter! And finally, I tried quite hard in extracting the trees; but, did not went extracting further, 'coz the trees then were becoming thin and sometimes there were gaps in between parts of the trees & I needed to cover them using the clone stamp tool! I will surely try in cleaning them up perfectly!
Sir, I've also made a request to all the senior members of this forum, including you in the general section of the forum! Kindly read it out!
Thanks,
Kaustav Sinha

kaustavsinha
10-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Hi Kaustav

Nick

Hi Nick,
Thank you very much for commenting on my work! I'm not that technically correct in terms of lighting & shadows, 'coz I have not learned in details the theory that is required to be studied about these topics! I know that lighting & shadows have a very very important place in making a matte-painting a perfect looking one; that's why I'm currently studying various tutorials available on the net to rectify this problem of mine! As you said about the foreground tree lighting, which acc to you should have been cast into shadow, I totally 100% agree with you; while I was creating the trees on the foreground, I did not paid attention to the lighting, but more in actually placing them in the correct spot! Now,I'll surely rectify that in the coming days! And regarding "rimlight"; could you please define this term? I know it's a silly question to ask to a experienced pro like you, but.... Can I refer to this wikipedia article for this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting .I guess it's like an outline of light on an object, that comes from behind the object, here on the trees; am I correct? Sir, the lighting of birds was partially intentional, since the moon & the air-palace were lighted! I thought, additionally the birds would also lead the viewers eye-sight towards the air-palace, the focal-point of the painting, if I make them (birds) brighter! And finally, I tried quite hard in extracting the trees; but, did not went extracting further, 'coz the trees then were becoming thin and sometimes there were gaps in between parts of the trees & I needed to cover them using the clone stamp tool! I will surely try in cleaning them up perfectly!
Sir, I've also made a request to all the senior members of this forum, including you in the general section of the forum! Kindly read it out!
Thanks,
Kaustav Sinha

doux
10-12-2008, 12:16 PM
i think the important thing here is that there isnt an overall mood that ties this together. You need to work on it so the palace looks like it belongs there. As of now it looks more like it's two separate images stamped together.

It would also be a good idea to ground the palace. right now it looks like it would look on land, I would advice adding some ground underneath it (floating as well). If not then certain elements that maybe feel like heavy wind is blowing through the palace.

kaustavsinha
12-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi space-sprayer,
Sorry for the delay in updating the image!

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo57/kaustavsinha/AirPalace-Final.jpg

Keeping your points in mind, I placed most of the foreground trees in the shadow! I reduced the size of the moon, in order to put more focus on the palace! Kindly provide ur valuable comments & critiques on this image!

MechaTwiggy
12-27-2008, 09:07 PM
You have strong outlines around your trees.

kaustavsinha
12-27-2008, 11:29 PM
You have strong outlines around your trees.

Hi MechaTwiggy,
Thanks for replying! Actually, I tried to show a bit of rim light around the foreground trees, to show that the moonlight is falling on the other side of the trees! I feel that the edges of the trees are quite sharp and maybe needed to be more soft! I'll try to update this one for sure!

kaustavsinha
12-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Everyone,
Here's an update! I've removed the strong outlines around the foreground trees and also made the edges of the trees a bit more softer! Any further suggestions will be highly appreciated!

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo57/kaustavsinha/AirPalace-Final-1.jpg

metalrahul
12-28-2008, 07:22 AM
hi Kaustav,
I think you have to pay more attention to basic issues here than tweaking the fine details. First of all, before you start working on a mattepainting do a doodle in paper and figure out the composition and basic perspective. Most importantly think what the story or message you want to say with the mattepainting and then do a little bit research on it.

I have done quick rough edit with your matte to make my points clear hope you don't mind.
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3059/airpalacefinal1copywi0.jpg

In the above image I have tried to establish a foreground, mid ground and background so it gives the scene more depth and secondly I have tried to say a bit more with the your main structure. You have to make your main structure(palace) more interesting since thats your hero in the scene. You could always look for inspiration in Internet and here is what I found in Google Images
http://www.photoshoptalent.com/images/contests/cloud%20cities/fullsize/cloud%20cities_463b87f329c4e.jpg
http://www.photoshoptalent.com/images/contests/cloud%20cities/fullsize/cloud%20cities_463d7be6bf4ea.jpg

Lastly don't rush art, take your time and do lot of study before you start working on something. Try to collect as many reference photos, paintings and even mattepaintings as possible. Hoping to see your next update and I am sure pros here would be able to guide you much better than me on advanced issues such as perspective, size relation, color and harmony.

Hope this helps,
Rahul

kaustavsinha
12-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi Rahul,
Thank you very very much for the comments & critiques! They're really very helpful for me, particularly the depth explanation with the image, i.e., foreground, mid ground and background! I'll keep all these very important points in my mind, & will soon update this image in this thread! Kindly, render your very precious comments, when it will be updated!
Thanks,
Kaustav