PDA

View Full Version : Garbage truck

flangust
10-10-2008, 03:38 PM
So I haven't posted in a while but here's something I started working on, and I'm wondering what everyone thinks. I did the basic model in Maya, and create a displacement map with Zbrush, and I've been painting in Photoshop.
The idea is a futuristic garbage truck zooming off towards the city. I haven't quick figured out how to get the thrusters distortion to work right. But I looking for critics, and ideas.

http://www.broganross.com/images/other/Floating_Ship_1_Final_V3.jpg

Looking forward to your feedback

flangust
10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Nothing?? Really?? Is it that bad??

homer
10-12-2008, 07:51 PM
It looks like to be in a very early stage of comping stuff in...
The idea is good.
Compositing:
It might look better if you move the city to the right a bit. (currently it's edge to edge.)

flangust
10-12-2008, 10:57 PM
thanks for the reply Homer.
Yeah it is still pretty early. But I was starting to hit that wall where you've been looking at it too long and can't see the problems, so I tossed it up here to see what people thought.
Thanks again.

RALawrence
10-13-2008, 08:47 PM
This composition really isn't working for me. All the interest is in a straight horizontal line across the center, which is boring. The buildings on the left are too close to the edge (gives the sense of falling off the frame). Perspective needs work, too, especially as the ground approaches the viewer. The idea of a futuristic garbage collection vehicle is an interesting one, though. Keep at it. Try making many small and loose sketches until you strike a composition that feels solid.

flangust
10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Update:
I've comped in some more photos for adding a little more texture.
Created some fire for the thrusters exhaust.
Took RALawrence's advice on moving the city over a little bit.
Added a better sky.
As far the composition goes, I'm trying to stick to the same idea, but pull out some interest with adjustments to the sky and foreground.
Any comments?
http://www.broganross.com/images/other/Floating_Ship_1_Final_V5.jpg

homer
10-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Try adding some atmospheres.
Blending the city in the distance...

MechaTwiggy
10-25-2008, 06:26 AM
It just occurred to me: Why is the garbage truck so far away from the city?

I do like it though. I mean who paints a futuristic garbage truck? Coolio.

flangust
10-26-2008, 12:00 AM
thanks guys.
Yeah, I thought I was pushing the contrast of the city a little too much.
And I say that the Garbage truck is returning from its rounds after dumping the cargo off at the waste management facility :) Which, of course, is a ways away from city. Don't want all that trash laying around.

flangust
11-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Ok, so maybe not too much of a difference but I was starting to get a little numb to this one. So I went and worked on some other stuff and just came back to it? Any ideas?

http://broganross.com/images/other/Floating_Ship_1_Final_V6.jpg

Tholleyman
11-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi,

For me the environment it a little plain at the moment, I realise that the truck is crossing waste land to get to the city, but is there a way you could bring some more life to it? perhaps by making the city more dramatic, larger and with more dynamic shapes. Maybe adding some other vehicles in the air above the city or coming out towards us. Also I would try and split the foreground/mid/background planes a bit. You could try making the foreground elements larger and darker to push our focus towards the ship and city. At the moment there's noting about the ship itself that tells us its a garbage truck, it needs a story in its design. Maybe you could add some elements that would help describe its job - perhaps some grabber arms or other machinery. Overall I think you have the basis of a good image and the idea is strong, it just needs some tweaking.

Hope this helps

Tim

flangust
11-18-2008, 12:36 AM
So, once again, An update!! Weeee.
I'm still contemplating adding a tree to the left side of the frame in order to frame up the composition and maybe draw the eye around and to the city. However these are the changes I've done recently, and I look forward to hearing your critiques. Thanks a lot for the help guys, and keep it coming please.

http://www.broganross.com/images/other/Floating_Ship_1_Final_V7.jpg