PDA

View Full Version : typecasting???

bcottman
03-06-2005, 01:25 PM
I wondered what experiences people have had in transitioning bettween specialties in post production. Say texture artist to matte painter. Trouble being typecast, skills being overlooked, or one talent overshadowing another. I am a junior artist but I am beginning to feel that developing a career in one isnt necessarily going to lend itself to opportunities in other.

Any thoughts

kevjenkins
03-06-2005, 01:58 PM
I think that depends on where you work. at Framestore the Matte and Texture painters are all in the same department but it is really only the senoirs who do most of the matte painting. but it allows us to be flexible if we need to pull extra bodies on to a show weather it be for matte painting or texture work. The nature of working in london means we must all be as flexible as possible as we get less shows than north america.

if juniors show themselves to be gifted they are always given a chance. In fact we have had people from lots of different departments having a crack at it. but usually we end up bringing in ex-artists/illustrators as they seem to be the easiest to train up and have a better eye for photorealism (saying that it is still very dificult to recruit). natural talent normally seems to flow up when they are ready.

dont think that just because your texture painting its the crap end of the stick. I got my first gig at framestore painting dino's on 'walking with'.Just try to have a bit of patience , keep puting yourself about as a potential matte painter and have the work to back it up.

smooth
03-06-2005, 08:40 PM
I agree with Kev on this one. Take initiative and make your potential known. Get interested, ask for some matte work to do on the side or just do it and ask someone to critique it whom you respect and can take notice of your willingness. Just make sure that when its your turn to pitch hit that you can do it. More will come as a result.

+smooth+

bcottman
03-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks Kev and smoothe for the perspective.
I dont want to sound like I am belittling texture painting. Its a seperate disipline and has its own ups and downs. I had heard of people starting directly as junior matte or background artists and wondered who had taken other routes.

smooth
03-07-2005, 08:14 AM
We'll I'm not yet a matte painter.
I'm a shake compositor.
And both that and texture painter can benefit you prior to becoming a matte painter in many ways. It also makes you more marketable/flexible. Understanding what goes on in other dept. is a good thing. Ignorance will get you knowhere. I have my hands in 3d also just becuase I love vfx. And who knows maybe one day you get bored and decided to try something else. It benefits you to know more than less.
It also helps in communicating with the group you work with and understand the pipeline so to speak. Not to mention you can seem all wise and powerful knowing more MUAHAHA.

my 2 cents.

+smooth+