PDA

View Full Version : "The Waterfall" by Kaustav Sinha

kaustavsinha
10-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Everyone,
This is Kaustav Sinha from Kolkata, India. Here's is a landscape matte-painting that I'm currently working on.
http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?i...tavsinhbf4.jpg
Here in the following image, I showed the viewer's eye direction meant to be, & the source of light.
http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?i...eakdownqh4.jpg
I've used Adobe Photoshop throughout the painting and for the first time used Planetside's Terragen software to create the terrains!
Comments & critiques are heartily welcome!
Thanking You,
Yours faithfully,
Kaustav Sinha
(An Aspiring Digital Matte-Painter)
Let's Paint The World With Peace

secretpixel
10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Cant see it :(

kaustavsinha
10-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Respected Sir,
I found my WIP image link not working in this particular site too! Although I posted it at another site cgtantra.com using the same link, but it's working! Anyways, here's that site's link:-
http://www.cgtantra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12306
Thanks,
Kaustav Sinha

metalrahul
10-03-2008, 04:47 AM
You should copy the direct link and put in between the image tag like

example:Direct Link]
By the you can find your direct link after you hosted image in imageshack

About your work, I think you need to work on perspective as it is completely off now. Try to get some good reference images and do some perspective studies. Most importantly keep trying and never give up.

Good luck pal

kaustavsinha
10-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi MetalRahul,
Thanks for those critiques about my work! And thank you for showing the correct way of using the links! I will keep it in mind the next time I post any images.
Thanking You,
Yours faithfully,
Kaustav Sinha

elwaely_13
10-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi,

Well I can say some words here :) I know that I am not an expert but every one needs to say something after all :)

1- It is too much cloudy .

2- The birds are not real, it needs more touch to let the eye feels that they are real.

3- The Big castle seems out of area covered in this work.

:) I do not want to be so hard, but this is very close to the photoshop work !

Please, take my notes as just notes.

It is a smooth work, but in my opinion not matte painting :(

Best Regards,

elwaely_13

imothep85
10-03-2008, 09:28 AM
-First of all, this is not a matte-painting.

-Second, you have BEFORE to start a matte-painting to have a clear idea of what do you want to put in place, what kind of ambiance, landscape, view, you want to make.

-Trhee, NEVER start by putting cloneds parts and parts of pictures and mixed 3d landscapes in low resolution to make a HD matte-painting...its completly wrong, and you lost yourt time.

Try to make first of all, a good concept design, and check if its correct, demand for critics, and after, start to create a matte-painting using reference photos!!!!
good continuation.

JWest
10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Do you have a graphic tablet? These pictures look very cut/paste, like you used a mouse for all of it. You can't do any real painting without a tablet, so make sure you get one. Try just experimenting with various brushes and brush strokes. Make some scribbly sketches first, nothing too detailed. Just experiment with color composition and general image composition first, don't go right in thinking you're going to make something detailed an realistic. If you can, get some training DVD's from www.thegnomonworkshop.com. Also, check out the d'Artiste Matte Painting books (the second one will be availabe shortly). Study the work of others and learn from their experience. I'm just a student myself, so I'm not trying to act like any kind of expert, I'm just sharing my experience. Keep it up though, you'll only get better.

kaustavsinha
10-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Do you have a graphic tablet? These pictures look very cut/paste, like you used a mouse for all of it. You can't do any real painting without a tablet, so make sure you get one. Try just experimenting with various brushes and brush strokes. Make some scribbly sketches first, nothing too detailed. Just experiment with color composition and general image composition first, don't go right in thinking you're going to make something detailed an realistic. If you can, get some training DVD's from www.thegnomonworkshop.com. Also, check out the d'Artiste Matte Painting books (the second one will be availabe shortly). Study the work of others and learn from their experience. I'm just a student myself, so I'm not trying to act like any kind of expert, I'm just sharing my experience. Keep it up though, you'll only get better.

Hi JWest,
I do not own any graphic tablet! I thought once actually of buying one, like Wacom Intuos of any size, but did not 'cause of it's high price! I'll definitely try in purchasing one soon! And thanks for suggesting me those useful resources; I'll definitely try in getting those as quickly as I could. By the way I've created another matte-painting,titled "Air Palace". It's in the WIP section. Kindly check it out & comment on it!
Again thanks very very much for those useful tips!
Thanks,
Kaustav Sinha
(An Aspiring Digital Matte-Painter)

doux
10-12-2008, 01:26 PM
the white building's left tower has two visible sides. One affected by the light and the other one should be in the light's shadows. That's the kind of thing you need to pay attention two or like somebody said above, it will look very cut and paste.

Also the plants at some point just become blur on and off.

JWest
10-13-2008, 01:08 AM
I know graphic tablets are expensive, but they are definitely worth the money and most certainly a necessity if you want to do any serious digital art. If you want one for cheap, try eBay. Go with the Wacom Intuos 3 series; I'd suggest at least the 6x8 (mine is a 6x11), as the 4x6 is pretty dern small.

kaustavsinha
10-13-2008, 03:33 AM
Hi JWest,
Thanks for suggesting the size of the pen tablet! I'll keep that in mind when I'll buy one in the near future!
- Kaustav Sinha

egan
10-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Hey kaustavsinha,
About buying a graphics tablet; you mentioned the Wacom Intuos being too expensive, personally I use a Wacom Graphire4 which now comes wireless. The Wacom Bamboo is slighter higher in specks but both Graphire and Bamboo are cheaper than the Intous 3 series and are good enough for digital painting.

Richard :)

kaustavsinha
10-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Hi Richard,
Thank you very much for suggesting the Graphic Tablet! I'll keep those names in mind, before I purchase it in the near future!
Thanks,
Kaustav Sinha