PDA

View Full Version : First matte from me

Hyperspace
10-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi All,

Here is my first matte painting (if I get the syntax correct).

It's a fictitious snow environment with some building structures inspired by a Gundam figure plastic model I am building - the shapes seemed interesting. It's really just a self promotional piece - well it is if the feedback is good!

I guess it is nearing completion although I welcome any crits or suggestions. I also have a camera projection move based on this which I'll post shortly.

The original is 4K wide but this is a reduced version - I hope this resolution is acceptable for this section of the forum?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Snow complex
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2907419896_5d2347db1c_o.jpg

homer
10-02-2008, 04:06 PM
the structure looks good. the mountain looks OK. but together it looks to much like a miniature model. (and that's because of scale difference in the textures) you can fix this by simplifying the mountain or adding more detailed textures to the structure.

Another way to improve the look is to make the shadows a lot darker.
After all having the sun in front of the view calls for a more silhouette look.

nickmarshallvfx
10-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Yea you need to work on the lighting. In this backlit situation you would get a lot of quite harsh rimlighting, and not as much fill in the areas that should be in shadow. Also, the lens flare is a big no no. Get rid and that will instantly help!

Nick

Hyperspace
10-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I see what you both mean. I have a tendency to make my images too dark and was thinking there would be a reasonable amount of bounced light from snow behind the viewer but it does need considerably darker shadow areas.

I'll work on the shadows (fortunately on a layer) and try to fix the textural scale on the buildings and post another image soon - consider the lens flare gone :)

Thanks again,
Simon

Hyperspace
10-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi,

I've worked on this some more - giving the lighting a lot of adjustment, adding more textural detail and added some kind of deck or quay around the base of the FG structure. I've also spent a bit of time on general tidying which has (hopefully) improved it.

When I compare before and after its striking how far wide of the mark it was previously - particularly lighting - but I'm now much happier with it. Had I spent more time on a more developed concept prior to diving into a full "matte" I could have probably avoided some pain!

Anyhow - really appreciate any further feedback, I'd like to try some other projects next.

Simon

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/2948248108_943c073c13_o.jpg

homer
10-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Overall you did a good job and it was a real improvement.
But the area in the middle looks great.

nickmarshallvfx
10-17-2008, 05:40 AM
Hooray for cast shadows!
The lighting on this looks much better now, and the two images side by side are almost unrecognisable as the same.
There seems to be a scale issue standing out though. The foreground tower on the left i imagine to be about 20 meters tall (roughly) based on the scale of the windows in it and relating to what we can see in the surrounding areas.
However, the same tower in the distance looks like it is almost at the base of those mountains, which i imagine to be thousands of meters high, and it makes that tower look about 50 times bigger than the same tower in the foreground.

Also, with the lighting, there still seems to be a few areas in the foreground where the structures meet the snow and rock, that could do with being darkened a bit..
Id try grabbing a curves adjustment and bringing a bit more blue into your darks, particularly in the foreground. Might help a little.

Anyway, this piece is looking really good now, and with a bit more work i think it could be great. Props to you for taking the earlier advice on board so well and making such drastic changes!

Hope you continue with this!

Nick

MechaTwiggy
10-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Wow, that's quite an improvement over the last one!

rockhoppermedia
10-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Nice solid work, well done

Rich

Hyperspace
10-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the positive comments; I'm glad I stuck with it now. I will try a few more adjustments this week and take a look at scale relationship between the towers.
Thanks again.

Simon

http://simonbritnell.com