PDA

View Full Version : mountains of madness

lukedesmith
10-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site and still pretty new to matte painting. This is my first post. So first I'm posting the concept painting, after you've had a chance to tear it apart I'll make the necessary changes and then begin the final matte. Any critique is welcome.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/lukedesmith/MountainsofMaddness-1.jpg

homer
10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
1- sense of scale.
the windows are representing the scale here, and one assumes that it will follow the "perspective".

tide78
10-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey man this could be really cool! I think the main thing that you need to pay attention to is perspective, scale and lighting. the plane looks tiny compared to the facade on the right, and the architectural styles should prob. match all across the board as well, but that's more of a personal choice really. I think that your idea has a ton of kinetic coolness though. Tap into it! I'd just get in there and get your hands dirty. Pick a photo to use for atmospheric reference and just start messing around, see where it takes you.

-Z

nickmarshallvfx
10-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I like the fact that you have taken a bit of time to actually design what looks to be some pretty cool architecture. The 'cube' building doesnt sit too well with me as it doesnt seem to fit in with the rest, but other than that, i look forward to seeing what you can do with this. Get the perspective nailed and you should be on your way.

Look forward to seeing updates.

Nick

lukedesmith
10-07-2008, 10:52 PM
"The effect was that of a Cyclopean city of no architecture known to man or to
human imagination, with vast aggregations of night-black masonry embodying
monstrous perversions of geometrical laws. There were truncated cones, sometimes
terraced or fluted, surmounted by tall cylindrical shafts here and there
bulbously enlarged and often capped with tiers of thinnish scalloped disks; and
strange beetling, table-like constructions suggesting piles of multitudinous
rectangular slabs or circular plates or five-pointed stars with each one
overlapping the one beneath. There were composite cones and pyramids either
alone or surmounting cylinders or cubes or flatter truncated cones and pyramids,
and occasional needle-like spires in curious clusters of five. All of these
febrile structures seemed knit together by tubular bridges crossing from one to
the other at various dizzy heights, and the implied scale of the whole was
terrifying and oppressive in its sheer gigantism."

"Many parts, especially those closest to the slopes,
seemed identical in substance with the surrounding rock surface. The whole
arrangement looked like the ruins of Macchu Picchu in the Andes, or the primal
foundation walls of Kish as dug up by the Oxford Field Museum Expedition in
1929"

"But it was the mountainside tangle of regular cubes, ramparts, and cave mouths
which fascinated and disturbed us most."

HP Lovecraft- At the Mountains of Madness

nickmarshallvfx
10-08-2008, 03:16 AM
So does that quote mean that you have chosen to disregard the advice given? Fair enough, but i have to tell you i think its a really bad idea when you are new to matte painting (or even if you are a seasoned pro) to actively choose to ignore the rules of perspective and make structures that seem to defy physics too. In writing it sounds like an incredible and mysterious place, but visually its an absolute nightmare.
By all means continue, but be aware that you can't start justifying yourself to a potential employer by quoting Lovecraft at them. If they see perspective problems and believablility issues, then they will take it as a technical weakness, not a valid artistic decision...

lukedesmith
10-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Space-sprayer I think you may be a bit confused by the Lovecraft quotes. they we're only meant to provide a description that i am attempting to follow. Homer was confused by the scale issues. you have to ignore objects of unknown size. the windows are useless for judging scale because you don't know how big they are. in this image please reference the plane for scale. i am working on the perspective problems now and that strange cube is gone. i will post the new image soon. thank you for your advice everyone. i really appreciate it

MechaTwiggy
10-09-2008, 03:23 PM
You just sort of proved Homer's point about scale... you shouldn't have to tell the viewer which item to use for scale reference.

lukedesmith
10-14-2008, 12:31 PM
megatwitchy I think you missed the point. and the point is FORCED PERSPECTIVE. the forground objects look like they are way to big because they are. I think you'll get it when the final comp is finished. don't believe me? google "snake tomb petra" you'll see that the tomb actually does dwarf a 1920's airplane. i agree that the perspective is off in this case, but the scale is right.

lukedesmith
10-14-2008, 12:44 PM
so here's the the new comp without the foreground elements, i'll get to those. what do you think? http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/lukedesmith/MountainsofMaddness_v2.jpg

lukedesmith
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/lukedesmith/MountainsofMaddness_v2.jpg

lukedesmith
10-16-2008, 02:45 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/lukedesmith/MountainsofMaddness_v2.jpg