PDA

View Full Version : Colga - W.I.P

thomaskrahn
09-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi everybody,

Here's a new piece I'm working on.
I've always loved those matte paintings where you have some interesting architecture that's totally integrated in the landscape, so I wanted to give it a go myself.

The landscape is based on photos I took when trekking in Colga canyon in Peru.
The cloister is composed of lots of small bits of monasteries and fortresses and high rises :)

Still working on the lower right corner. Any suggestions on how to make it more realistic would be very much appreciated.
Also I would like to extend the cloister and make it even more sci-fi. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas
www.thomaskrahn.com

Colga
http://thomaskrahn.com/Images/Sabbataar/1.5.jpg

Detail
http://thomaskrahn.com/Images/Sabbataar/detail.jpg

homer
09-25-2008, 06:34 PM
It looks great, already.
The very bright area in the bottom right, is leading the eye off the picture.

you might fix that by casting a shadow over the front part of it.
Or Add A brighter ridge to the left foreground (bouncing that off).

Also the shadows in the front might use more blue to match with the shadows in the background.

RALawrence
09-28-2008, 12:51 PM
There are a lot of things here that you've done well. The bottom fog and rich shadows are nice, as are the highlights on the building. The traditional and high-tech mixture of architecture isn't really working for me yet. The bigger problem is that you've got a few perspective problems with your structure. Also, the cylindrical structure in front of the main building seems out-of-place or lonely, somehow distracting.

thomaskrahn
09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I definitely agree the composition needed some more work, to make the lower right corner sit in there properly.

The idea with a cast shadow was great Homer. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it yet but I just roughed in 2 cliffs and a basic shadow pattern to find the right proportions. I think it does the job, and once I get it to sit in there properly, the whole picture will be a lot more balanced.

As for perspective problems, I can't really find them. The whole structure was built and designed around a perspective grid and lines up pretty much perfectly. Would you mine telling me exactly what is bothering you RALawrence so I can fix it?

Agains, thanks for the comments. Further criticism/ideas are appreciated.

Thomas
www.thomaskrahn.com

Colga v.2
http://thomaskrahn.com/Images/Sabbataar/1.6.jpg

RALawrence
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I could be wrong, but it seems that the rooftops of the left top portion of the building are too shallow. The angle of the wall on the right side looks proper, but it isn't consistent with the left side.

By the way, I checked out your site and was very impressed by many of your works. You have a great future career coming (if the world doesn't fall apart first, of course!)

lightwell
09-30-2008, 02:27 AM
I could be wrong, but it seems that the rooftops of the left top portion of the building are too shallow. The angle of the wall on the right side looks proper, but it isn't consistent with the left side.

I got a bit confused by the comment at first but then guessed it related to perspective rather than design.

I think there are improvements in the second version but I did prefer the first one without the dark rock front right. Did you try adding a lighter are to the left as Homer suggested? In my minds eye, that works better.

Designwise, I thought the mix of old and new was fine although a few more clues as to the structure holding up the "new" balcony facing the camera would really help. As Mies pointed out, "god is in the details" and its that kind of attention to detail that would really sell it. I also think that glass reflecting the sunhit slopes rather than overbright interior lights would work better.

Really nice piece of work!

Jim

Edit: Nice work on your site but would like to look at "lost" if you can fix the link!