View Full Version : Matte Painting in other industries …

03-03-2005, 05:53 PM
So far I have seen the art of matte paintings in Film and TV productions.
Does anybody know about any samples of using this art in other industries such as Architectural Rendering (making CG rendering to look photo real) or any other field?

03-03-2005, 06:21 PM
I think it's safe to say that matte painting is a term that relates
to shots created for a film or television project. Matte ARTISTS,
on the other hand, work in all kinds of fields (at least I do).
When I do an illustration for print, it may be photorealistic, but
it isn't a matte painting.

03-03-2005, 06:56 PM
It seems to me a matte painter is an artist with great imagination who does compositing in photoshop and uses all kind of tricks to create or enhance a CG Environment.
And usually they also know photography, 3d Modeling, compositing, concept design and illustration.
Maybe that’s why in some case there are job openings as “Matte Painter” for Architectural as well such as;

But I have not seen any samples yet!

03-03-2005, 07:18 PM
It's just semantics. Matte paintings are used in film and television.
And who you are or the tools you use don't matter. If you're doing realistic
work for games, architectural visualization (or whatever), it's realistic
artwork (or whatever other term you want to use).

A matte painting is part of a matte SHOT, defined really early on in
motion picture visual effects.

03-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Just like everything else this term will be used VERY loosly as time passes. just like "Graphic Artist" or..."Web Designer". Which sucks because matte painting is a refined photoreal art skill to match the plate in which it will be used. People doing 3d modeling and texturing might call themselves "matte painters"...and they should be shot! lol. Like people calling themselves illustrators and they've never picked up fine art...only a mouse and Adobe Illustrator. You'll see many job posts/people generalizing the term "matte painter" and placing it where it shouldnt be.
I hate that. but the more the technology changes the things we do...the more obscure it becomes. Sure matte paintings involve 3d..but it can be called matte painting depending on how it was done overall...and how it will be used.
Even concept art being called matte painting freaks me out. :x
know the difference people!
Sorry i'm a little passionate when it comes to this.