PDA

View Full Version : The Corridor

crahzz
09-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey everyone,

Just a quick update with a work I did for my production design class, which at the moment more resembles industrial design then anything else but still. This is for an assignment which we had to do and I forgot about so I had 1 afternoon to come up with something good.

Done this piece in 5 hours; an interior for a floating island made out of metal and steel.
Comments and crits are welcome

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/258/8/c/The_Corridor_by_crahzz.jpg

cheers,
Titus

Alex Jenyon
09-14-2008, 01:46 PM
The 'photo overlay' technique is a very powerful one, particularly when you have to create a lot of detail very quickly, and don't have time to paint it all.

It's not without it's problems, though - and there a couple of basic mistakes that can really hold back an image.

The first is to texture an object which ISN'T face-on to camera with a texture that is - like the wall/pipework on the LHS of the image. The wall is perpendicular to the image plane, but the texture is flat - thus creating the illusion that the corridor has no depth on that side of the image.

The other mistake is to overlay a texture across several forms, each at a different depth in space. There are quite clearly several lines going across the overhead pipework, the ceiling and the floor, even though these objects don't share the same plane. This again has the effect of 'flattening out' the image, and killing the sense of depth that your perspective is trying to achieve.

There are some areas of the image that are working really well (the detailing on the RHS of the door is really great), but overall it's a bit 'muddy'. It's not a question of spending more time on it, just being a bit more careful with your use of overlay layers.

Hope that helps.

AJ

crahzz
09-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the advice,
I indeed now see the lines across the upper tubing and the 'muddy' effect the left side of the images receives. I don't yet fully understand the technique that allows me to lift flat planes into depth, as in I understand how the mid tone color area's on a surface best display the bump and offset but I can't yet put it in so do you have some tips for me on that area?

Again thanks for the advice, if you have more critique then by all means let me know.

Cheers.